A tough winter "hike" - Denali solo in winter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was impressed when Vern Tejas did the first winter solo in 1988. Tejas' climb was in March. January might even be a little tougher!

Probably was safe to leave the bug dope at home on this one. Well done!

No doubt, an amazing accomplishment.

But it was 45 degrees warmer this morning in Talkeetna than it was at my house in New York. I think he may have caught the "right" conditions.

Or you may end up in a crevasse. A number of other winter soloists have disappeared without a trace, presumably in crevasses...

Doug

My memory is not the best, but I believe Vern Tejas did his climb tied into the middle of a large aluminum ladder to "Catch" him in the event of a crevasse fall. Personally, I always wanted to climb Denali, but two things kept me from doing it. The crowds, the cold, ok 3, the time involved.

Dunno about Tejas but I do remember Jon Krakauer writing about the ladder/crevasse technique on Devil's Thumb in Alaska in his original book Eiger Dreams.. Back before Into the Wild and Into Thin Air when he was an obscure climber.

Denali is a big time commitment for sure. Took a lot of years of planning to get my life in a place where I'll finally be able to spend a month in Alaska this coming June. Haven't yet decided if the warm winter is a good thing or a bad thing. If it continues, I would expect crevasse hazard to be more of a concern on the West Buttress route I'll be on and a huge issue on some of the more difficult approaches.

Dunno about Tejas but I do remember Jon Krakauer writing about the ladder/crevasse technique on Devil's Thumb in Alaska in his original book Eiger Dreams.. Back before Into the Wild and Into Thin Air when he was an obscure climber.

Denali is a big time commitment for sure. Took a lot of years of planning to get my life in a place where I'll finally be able to spend a month in Alaska this coming June. Haven't yet decided if the warm winter is a good thing or a bad thing. If it continues, I would expect crevasse hazard to be more of a concern on the West Buttress route I'll be on and a huge issue on some of the more difficult approaches.

I had not heard directly of Kraukaer until after his Everest reporting. I went back and read his older work. Decent writer, but he does hack a knack to keep you interested.

I had been following Lonnie's attempts for a couple years now. His prep and logistics work is amazing.

A month in AK? Enjoy that!

My memory is not the best, but I believe Vern Tejas did his climb tied into the middle of a large aluminum ladder to "Catch" him in the event of a crevasse fall.
I don't recall who, but using a ladder to catch one in the event of a crevasse fall is a well-known technique. I don't know how often it is actually used.

(Must be hard to climb with a ladder around one's middle--balance, wind, etc...)

I was just pointing out that even with perfect weather there are some very serious risks in climbing Denali solo in winter.

Doug