Sugarloaf and Plateau 1-17-14 from the Woodstock side

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hermit

Reaction score
Home-West Shokan N.Y.Avatar 35x12 Catskill grid pa
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sredir?uname=110274937487305514320&target=ALBUM&id=6105442905336480545&authkey=Gv1sRgCLKL2Ojp-pWn7wE&feat=emailWith the icy weather predicted today 1-18-15 , we decided it may be a good time to hike these notoriously steep and icy Catskill 3500 ' peaks.We took off from the Woodstock side of Mink Hollow rd.where Todd Rungren used to reside aka the Hermit of Mink Hollow one of his albums.The trail is eroded in some area from the big storms a few years ago,but we rock hopped and stream hopped over the ice to the Lean to about 2.5 miles up from the p.a.. Once at the lean to we put on 10 point crampons. I even carried an ice axe just in case , but I only used it in couple of sections.We climbed Sugar Loaf first ,as expected some icy steep sections ,but we were fine with the crampons.nice views from the lookout. We proceeded back to the col and climbed Plateau which has it fair share of steeps and ice,but we felt that we had the right equipment and made the hike up and down fine. Once on the summit of Plateau we hiked over to the western side for additional mileage and views. This was my friend Linda's 26/35 Catskill Winter peak.Here are a few pictures.Top of the report.