those new ultralight ultrathin down jackets?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikerfast

Reaction score
question people: the new big rage in clothing item(ems, beans, north face, at least) seems to be this ultralight ultrathin hooded(or not hooded) down jacket. stuffable in its pocket, etc. fairly expensive. anyone have any comments on the practicality of this? in my quest to own every piece of usable gear on the planet, I am wondering about this

I think this sums up my opinion pretty well:

"Ironically, ultralight down jackets are at their best when you’re not using them. Since they pack down to nothing when not in use, they’ll be a lot less annoying than heavy jackets you have to haul around the whole time."

http://snarkynomad.com/a-few-of-the-best-ultralight-down-jackets/

A wool or fleece garment with similar features won't fail you in wet conditions. But hey, how often does that happen in New England? Much better to shell (no pun intended) out a few hundred bucks to shave some ounces.

When the Arc'teryx version has "synthetic insulation in the shoulders, collar, and hem, where they’re most likely to encounter some rain", you know there's a reason ...

My son bought me one for Christmas. I was a little bit skeptical at first, because it was so light and flimsy. I tried it out by going for a walk in very cold & windy conditions last week to check it out. I was amazed at how warm and comfortable it was. I used it again Saturday to hike the Tripyramids (also very cold & windy). I used it under a shell jacket. I could hardly tell I was wearing it. I was very impressed. It was on sale for $113 at EMS. It may still be.

For a light jacket, I prefer Primaloft insulation covered with a DWR-coated fabric. Those new down jackets may be using water-repellant down, which may justify the higher price. I would typically wear my jacket (Wild Things EP Hooded Jacket) as an outer layer during cool weather.

Last edited:
Agreed about the Nanopuff -- for New England the synth version of this type of thing comes with fewer risks than down, but either way -- in general this sort of thing is awesome for summer and fall evenings in camp and as the emergency insulation in a daypack. Depending on the winter day it can be useful there too as a layer to wear on the descent. It can be a nice layer beneath the shell for a day of downhill skiing with in-betweenish temps, say in the 20's. They aren't really made to do the same thing as your Big Puffy, and they don't replace it.

Last edited:
I rarely wear a fleece anymore, and have switched to puffs. Love the lightweight and packability.

When mine came in the mail and I opened the box it was so light and flimsy looking, I thought it was a joke. After a few uses, love it! So light and sure does take up soooooo little space compared to my old Nuptse!

Do note that some of the new jackets use Dry Down or an equivalent for filling. The claim is that the down is coated with a water repellent so it doesn't loose significant loft when wet. The beans version was improved this year with a pertex shell. I have the prior version and the outer shell is very light weight. I wouldn't dare be within 30 feet of campfire in case an ember goes flying. It is warm for the weight and packs up small.

It didn't take long for me to rip my puff! Narrow trails, snow pulling down on the tree branches, yeah...

Hi Tom,

Sorry to hear about that. Did you try contacting Patagonia? (assuming that was the manufacturer). I have heard they have good customer service.

The duration of my coat is probably due to the fact that I usually wear it beneath a hard shell. In all honesty, my coat usually spends most hikes in my pack.

Be well,

Z :D

Yeah, I ripped mine on a branch. I try not to wear it in the woods, unless under a shell for that reason. Not Patagonia's fault, I blame the dog that cut in front of me, pushing me hard to the left.

The insulation value is proportional to the thickness. I have a thin synthetic-insulation jacket which appears to have similar warmth as a 200-wt fleece jacket. It also seems to block the wind about as well as a windblocking fleece.

Note that when pressure compresses such a jacket, its insulation value becomes very small. In contrast, wool and fleece retain a lot more insulation value when compressed.

Others have noted how delicate the light-weight jackets are--wool and fleece are also far more robust.

Doug

They're a cool fashion statement by the urban crowd trying to look outdoorsy but I can't help wonder, how do the geese keep those feathers dry and fluffy?

I've recently been revisiting wool as a mid layer. I have an old North Face wool sweater that is maybe the warmest garment I've ever worn but it is HEAVY. I've taken it on a few hikes and I can definitely tell when it is in the pack. It has an annoyingly high collar which is one of the main reasons I stopped wearing it. Would rather have a crew neck/no zippers. Any modern advances in wool that make it lighter but with the same benefits? Anyone wearing a wool mid layer (not a base layer like merino wool - already do that) they would recommend (i.e. brand, etc)?

I've recently been revisiting wool as a mid layer. I have an old North Face wool sweater that is maybe the warmest garment I've ever worn but it is HEAVY. I've taken it on a few hikes and I can definitely tell when it is in the pack. It has an annoyingly high collar which is one of the main reasons I stopped wearing it. Would rather have a crew neck/no zippers. Any modern advances in wool that make it lighter but with the same benefits? Anyone wearing a wool mid layer (not a base layer like merino wool - already do that) they would recommend (i.e. brand, etc)?

How much does it weigh?

I've never thrown it on a scale but it is noticeable. Weighs about as much as all of the other layers I carry combined. It was made for skiing I think. Definitely not an ideal hiking item.

One I have is definitely heavier than that. Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.