Isolation: Engine Hill Bushwhack

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tuck

Reaction score
Anyone have a recent track of the Engine Hill Bushwhack they would like to share. Thanks

Tuck

The issue with the Engine Hill bushwhack is that sometimes folks break out a real squirrely route and most folks follow leading to the choice between going the right way or following the herd. Since most folks don't have the skills/ motivation to do the second bushwhack to up the north side of the valley that ends up at the Col immediately north of Isolation, the newer Engine hill routes tend to go farther north to intersect the stream near the last crossing.

I will say that this year's Engine Hill route is quite pleasant. Less thrashing through thick stuff than some past iterations.

I will say that this year's Engine Hill route is quite pleasant. Less thrashing through thick stuff than some past iterations.

Hi SteveR,

I enjoyed this route as well. It did seem to remain higher than the route I took last time, but it was still an easy walk through some open hard woods for a long stretch, as you know ;)

There was a little meandering at lower elevation but nothing too "Squirely".

Thanks for the company and hospitality after.

Z :D

the choice between going the right way or following the herd

Just my opinion here, which may not be worth much... But I'm not so keen on the idea that there's a "right" way for a bushwhack. There are certainly "thicker" routes and "thinner" routes, and some may desire less thrashing in general (myself included), but if you're going to go off trail, why not delight in a little bit of actual discovery? Find the spot where you want to depart the trail, set your compass, and head off into a little bit of unknown!

There are several delightful birch glades that most routes will run through, and it's great if your route includes this spectacular little section. That's a great place to camp too, BTW, if you're interested in making this an overnight. But to me it seems like trying to go the "right" way when there is no trail and you're not completely familiar with the herd path is a recipe for disappointment, when there's really no need for disappointment. Even if you end up thrashing a little bit, the feeling of popping out on the next section of trail, having fended for yourself for a little bit, is pretty awesome. Own it!