Bretton Woods

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rup

Reaction score
Plan to ski BW. Is there a good pace to stay near there other than Mt Wash Hotel?

Four seasons motel is a spot where many hikers/skiers stay...Twin View, Johnsons, Patio, Carroll Motel and Cottages...check websites of course to see what you might be interested in...

Last edited:
Above the Notch is nice, and close.... If it's open. They used to also offer reduced-price BW TUX.

ALso check out The Lodge @ MWR... They advertise ski-free BnB packages from $109

Crawford Notch Lodge--it's not super cheap, but comes with meals, and can be kind of fun and a little bit social, in a good way. May be booked on weekends so try a weekday and I think the prices are lower during the week too. You can then ski over to Bretton Woods....

There's also the Shapleigh Bunkhouse, but I know that will ignite the ire of the "AMC IS DUH DEBIL" crowd.

The Villager in Bartlett is cheap and basic, I've stayed a few times and it's always been clean and comfortable, but luxurious it isn't.

As for the Mt. Washington Hotel, we stayed there once, and not by choice, about a dozen years ago. Our daughter was in a ski race at BW that went on despite a snowstorm and we ended up marooned there. The place is ancient and our room looked it, but was adequate. The huge dining room is modeled after the great ocean liners of a century ago - think Titanic - and at that time they required men to wear a jacket, which they lent gratis to uncouth or unprepared guests like me. (I would be surprised if they still had that rule.) I loved the Gilded Age ambience of the place, which is loaded with history (Google bretton woods conference).

In the basement, the old wine cellar, hewn out of granite, had been turned into a great and unique bar. A blizzard was howling and at midnight, as I strolled around just outside, I realized why this place was the inspiration for The Shining.

It is at the center of a great XC network. I've been there since our overnight stay three times for post-race parties in the Ballroom. I don't recall what we paid for our one night, but I imagine it's pricier, probably by a lot, than most of the other suggestions.

We used to stay across the street from the entrance to the Mt Washington, whatever it's called now, Bretton Woods Lodge maybe, next to the new scenic parking lot.
Anyway, newer rooms and bigger/better pool and sauna, had breakfast, shuttle access to BW and the Mt W and way cheaper than the Mt W.

.... I realized why this place was the inspiration for The Shining.

It may have contributed to the inspiration but the Stanley Hotel, just outside Rocky Mountain NP, gets credit and that's where it was filmed.

The Mt. Washington Hotel was a bit of a disappointment when we stayed there but we were comparing it to the Balsams ... which also required jackets at dinner. Lots of premier hotels and restaurants do and the meal is an event and the food usually memorable. We save a lot of money by driving instead of flying and mixing in camping and inexpensive remote primitive Forest Service cabins and the like as part of the trip. So, we book an occasional premier hotel or inn and don't regret it a bit.

We also thought the Highland Center was overpriced for what you got, reinforcing the notion of location, location, location.

Never stayed at MT Wash, but have had many a drink there. Lots of history. My aunt was a pastry chef there during the BW Accord meetings, and was specifically honored by DeGaul for her baking!

Another big hotel is the Mt View Grande. Tried to visit it once some years back, but the entire property was closed at the main roads due to a big C&W concert. No tickee, no entree. Wonder how that went?