Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rangers taking pictures of plates?

Rangers taking pictures of plates?

According to a post in NETRAILCONDITIONS, someone saw a Forest Ranger taking pictures of liscense plates in the LW parking Lot. Has anyone seen this before? Or know what he was doing that for? I'll be honest this creeps me out on many levels. So we cannot just go and be, now they have to patrol with cameras in there hands to flush us out? Ill wait to hear more on this, but on the face of it, I'm dissapointed to say the least.

Perhaps those people had not paid and he was collecting evidence for tickets?

Tim
    Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep. Eat, Fish, Repeat.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by bikehikeskifish View Post
    Perhaps those people had not paid and he was collecting evidence for tickets?

Tim
    I'm with Tim. People will contest anything. The rangers are likely taking timestamped photos. I wonder if they have to produce the entire day's envelopes to prove that the offending license is not among them.
    58.96% When in doubt, go up.

Bloomville, New York Avatar: Dress for success!
    Sierra, did you really think big brother hasn't been watching us for a LONG time now!
    Tom Rankin
    Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
    Past President Catskill 3500 Club
    CEO

I'm sure law enforcement has forever made note of who is parked where, and forest rangers are no exception. It doesn't bother me one bit, and in fact makes me feel safer to know that they know who is parked next to me. It is a good thing. As a matter of fact, I often note the license plate numbers (and have taken photos) of vehicles parked next to me from time to time in certain places... just in case. I learned after I wished I had done that the time when some jerk opened his truck door into my car and I later returned to find a big dent in my door.
    Last edited by Nessmuk; 01-25-2015 at 06:30 PM.
    "She's all my fancy painted her, she's lovely, she is light. She waltzes on the waves by day and rests with me at night." - Nessmuk, Forest and Stream, July 21, 1880 [of the Wood Drake Canoe built for him by Rushton]

There's a bandit trail on Pilot Knob in the Lake George area of the Adirondacks. Someone cut this years ago and has been in a battle with the rangers. He paints blazes, clears the trail, and cuts views. They come in and paint over his blazes on trees. I saw the guy a few years ago and happened to mention it to the local ranger. He said that if they catch him, they are going to slam him with everything. Asked if I ever saw him again, to make a note of every plate in the T/H. Not the same thing as the O.P., but pretty sure this is SOP everywhere.
    "The fact that going off the deep end appears
    to be a requisite to doing anything of consequence
    in this life has not escaped me." Jim Harrison

Edit- The person who saw the rangers put a trail conditions report on VFFT. He went by while I was going up.

I was on Osseo/Flume on Saturday coming down at night. There was some (illegal) camping pretty much on the river and the Osseo trailhead. Big fire and all! But the chaps were friendly enough as we met a few times on Osseo. I didn't really care. So if they were taking pictures maybe its related.

I was actually more concerned about getting a parking ticket--all the envelops were wet and sealed shut. I had to rip one to get to get the cash in. Supposedly you have to "validate it by entering your name address and plate info". But there were no pencils.
    Last edited by Remix; 01-25-2015 at 11:39 PM.

He was taking pictures of the side of a Mini Cooper when I walked past. I thought this was odd. Plates maybe, but the side? It was not parked abnormally, I didn't see any damage, and the car was still there when I returned in the early afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Rankin View Post
    Sierra, did you really think big brother hasn't been watching us for a LONG time now!
    No, I hear you, it just stinks to be honest. I miss being out west where you can just do whatever and rangers are just few and far between. Here in the Whites you cant throw a rock without hitting one. Don't get me wrong, an innocent man fears no law, but they are everywhere. You cant sleep at trailheads, you cant park overnight, you cant camp here or there, you have to pay to park, I guess maybe I should just go where its not so oppressive and I just might.

hmmmmm... I wonder what would happen if you started taking pictures of the Rangers and their trucks????? I've taken pics of govt trucks before at some of the TH/Trails before .... maybe they have a forum where they mention that and the other Rangers get creeped out? The signs do say the lot is monitored by video cams, right - mine or theirs? OK... I'm just kidding here... nobody get upset, alright My intentions are pure, of course!!!!
    Last edited by Becca M; 01-26-2015 at 10:41 AM.
    Yay for winter!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sierra View Post
    No, I hear you, it just stinks to be honest. I miss being out west where you can just do whatever and rangers are just few and far between. Here in the Whites you cant throw a rock without hitting one. Don't get me wrong, an innocent man fears no law, but they are everywhere. You cant sleep at trailheads, you cant park overnight, you cant camp here or there, you have to pay to park, I guess maybe I should just go where its not so oppressive and I just might.
    Personally, I have seen fewer than a dozen rangers in 8+ years. Half of those at the LW parking lot. I recall seeing the rest over three hikes - twice a single ranger, and once 2 or 3. New York and the DEC are (reportedly) far more restrictive.

Tim
    Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep. Eat, Fish, Repeat.

'Springtime' on the Carters (Tamworth, NH)
    Quote Originally Posted by Becca M View Post
    hmmmmm... I wonder what would happen if you started taking pictures of the Rangers and their trucks????? I've taken pics of govt trucks before at some of the TH/Trails before .... maybe they have a forum where they mention that and the other Rangers get creeped out? The signs do say the lot is monitored by video cams, right - mine or theirs?
    I would guess intention matters. If their intent is just justify fines for vehicles that don't follow the rules, that is different than someone who is trying to intimidate someone else by taking their picture. That is not to say that would be your intention, but it's good to be aware that such tactics are sadly quite common by anti-choice protesters outside of abortion clinics, and other ideologically driven groups. (I.E., it's what crazy people do).
    | 64.5% W48: 19/48
    Trail Adopter of the Guinea Pond Trail

Were they armed? The WMNF has just two Law Enforcement Officers. You can identify them fairly readily because they are the only FS employees who are armed. Other FS employees handle the general field work, including fee collections. They're the ones you're most likely to encounter. If you see one of the LEO's they're probably there because of a specific problem or incident, and not just collecting parking fees.

Quote Originally Posted by Becca M View Post
    hmmmmm... I wonder what would happen if you started taking pictures of the Rangers and their trucks????? I've taken pics of govt trucks before at some of the TH/Trails before .... maybe they have a forum where they mention that and the other Rangers get creeped out? The signs do say the lot is monitored by video cams, right - mine or theirs?
    Taking pictures of Rangers in action out in public is probably legal. See http://bobatkins.com/photography/tut...aw_rights.html

Doug

lol. Bob Atkins - is that guy still active? I think I have been reading some of his stuff over 10 years ago.

Aside - about the 'grass is greener West' - in Wyoming it's nice to see all the open spaces until you realize they are all ranches with fences. You can't even float a river that runs through their property. You show up at a bar and you stick out like a Yankee in the West. You buy a fishing license and hike into a remote pond when you realize you need another license from the Indian tribe... I love going back to Wyoming but it's not as rosy with access and hands off management as it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by DougPaul View Post
    Taking pictures of Rangers in action out in public is probably legal. See http://bobatkins.com/photography/tut...aw_rights.html

Doug
    Luck is where preparation meets opportunity.