Breadloaf - Thursday, 3-3-05

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MTNRUNR

Reaction score
Being a nice day though I'd try for Breadloaf and Wilson. I'd be going up the Emily Proctor Trail to the shelter @ jct of the Long Trail and go each way from there.

Parked just past the turn(unplowed) to the trailhead where a large area is plowed for snowmobilers. Left @ 11:27. The trail was unbroken. Reached the trailhead in 11 minutes. Having been here 3 times before, I followed the road instead of the trail and they soon joined back. I stopped @ the register(20 min) and "signed in". Another couple had been there 3 days ago.

As I went I could make out slight depression where they'd gone. Once again got away from the trail and took an easier line, saving some up/dn. Joined trail after the brook crossing.

The snow was light & fluffy. When I started out I was sinking in about 6"...now up to 2'. The going was slow and thought about bagging it and going out! But I had time and needed the exercise so figured I'd go awhile longer and see how it went.

About 2400' I saw a moose about 30 yards ahead! Slowly got my camera out, they saw me, took a pix(probably got trees?) and headed uphill. Turned out there were 3 of them! Pretty neat :)

After awhile I checked the GPS and had 0.65 to the shelter...maybe I'd get there!? The trees were really coated and @ times wasn't sure if I was on trail? Got to the shelter @ 3:07(3:40 for about 4.2 miles)...WOW!!! Views that there were were great, but limited. Took a break, ate and took some pix.

Headed for Breadloaf. There trail is almost impossible to follow but I knew which way to head. I felt I was running out of time when I came upon the LT, coming from the other direction! So I followed it North to the side trail and @ 4:08 I was @ the unmarked summit :)

Followed my tracks back to the shelter and took my last break. Headed down @ 4:40.

Found out that one should try to avoid falling forward going downhill in deep snow! Luckily was able to get my ski poles down to solid ground and finally got upright :) Ended up NOT having to use my headlamp! Got to the car @ 6:16pm.

It had been a tough(workout) day and I was pretty beat but very happy to have made it to Breadloaf...didn't even entertain the though of trying for Wilson, but I'd been there before in the winter w/a friend anyway...just not(yet) solo.

Sooo...if you haven't been here before be prepared to use map, compass, GPS or whatever to help find your way. If your lucky there will be a "depression" to follow! Good Luck and have FUN :)