Cross country ski boots?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ignomer

Reaction score
It seems like it would be pretty easy to find them, but I've got some weird feet. They're as long as 7 1/2, but I wear 10 1/2 EEEE shoes, and those don't leave me any room for more than a thin pair of socks because of the freakish wideness of my feet. Anybody know of anywhere to find super wide cross country ski boots? I'm not entirely sure which bindings my skis have, but they have the three pins that stick up then the bail that clips over the top of the front of the boot.

I'm debating making a plate out of wood that I can strap onto my winter boots, but buying a proper boot that fits seems like it would be less likely to leave me stranded somewhere potholing with one leg...

Good luck, the majority of cross country gear is made in Europe and apparently there are no folks with wide feet. For my 13 EEEE feet I did find some leather Merrills years ago and managed to stretch them a bit. I will be interested if you find a custom bootmaker that makes three pins.

...as long as 7 1/2, but I wear 10 1/2 EEEE shoes... QUOTE]

I read here:

http://www.orscrosscountryskisdirect.com/alpina-1575-75mm-ski-boots-help-qa.html

that Alpina runs wide.

But your situation sounds so extreme that I don't think just "running wide" will accommodate it. You probably need to get a custom boot maker like Limmer to put a three pin XC boot sole on an upper that fits you.

Good luck!

Not to chime endlessly on the Limmer theme, but MANY people have begged Peter Limmer for years to return to making three-pin boots; to no avail. Who knows, maybe you'd be the one to convince him, but as far as I know, that route's not happening.

Best wishes otherwise...

Not sure if you're referring to BC as xc but true nnn xc boots are like slippers...soft and pliable...well at least some of the rec boots. I wouldn't be surprised they accomodated your wide feet...but youd need to switch bindings. Also used 3 pin boots on eBay from times when there was no nnn run soft and wide.

These free skis are starting to get expensive! Curse my hobbit feet! I doubt if I got a regular width boot they'd be controllable on any downhill, there'd be a few inches in front of my toes giving me too much play in the boot where the binding actually touches.

I think my dogs would prefer my snowshoe tracks to walk in anyway. If I do decide to make an adaptor plate to use my regular boots I'll take a bunch of pics and post the plans and process in case anyone decides they'd like to do the same. I'd be sure to put them through the ringer before I went on any real adventures with them, and probably still bring my snowshoes along just in case...

Thanks for all the info.

I have a size 10 foot and bought a pair of Alpina back country 3 pin boots on the internet (cannot remember what site because it was several yrs ago), but I have wide feet and they are the best and very comfortable. I was surprised to find that they still even sold 3 pin boots. My husband got a used pair of Asolo size 9 at IME in North conway, downstairs where they sell used stuff, maybe try there.

...as long as 7 1/2, but I wear 10 1/2 EEEE shoes... QUOTE]

I read here:

http://www.orscrosscountryskisdirect.com/alpina-1575-75mm-ski-boots-help-qa.html

that Alpina runs wide.

But your situation sounds so extreme that I don't think just "running wide" will accommodate it. You probably need to get a custom boot maker like Limmer to put a three pin XC boot sole on an upper that fits you.

Good luck!

What TCD ande hiker lady said...

I had to return a size 46 Rossi X5 because they were pinching the sides of my foot, but fit OK in broken-in size 45 Alpinas.