Presidential Traverse: Sunday March 1

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thunder Dan

Reaction score
I am watching the weather forecast for Sunday, March 1 closely and considering doing a presidential traverse. If I do, I would plan to start at Valley Way around 3am, with the hope to reach Crawford Notch by 6pm. I am looking for a partner to spot a car at Crawford notch with. Once I get above treeline, I will turn around if the weather dictates it and return to my own car. Anyone interested, please feel free to contact me. I have hiked, Mt. Washington, Mt. Algonquin, Mt.Tecumseh, North Carter, Middle Carter, West Baldpate, East Baldpate, and Cascade in the winter. My plan is to take snowshoes and crampons and stabilicers and an ice ax so that all that may be needed is available.

Is anyone else out there considering doing a presidential traverse on Sunday, March 1st?

Well, I know the weather isn't going to be like it was President's Day weekend, but reading your itinerary of course makes me think of that very recent death doing a similar hike (chronicled and discussed for 10 pages on VFTT, and many other places, as I'm sure you've seen).

Yours is even more arduous. I guess you'll make use of all of the info and resources and planning help you can get, and also that you will take extreme care. Not to be motherly (I don't even have kids!) but it would be terrible for you to have anything even close to that kind of experience.

--Carla

It looks like I am going to postpone a presidential traverse for another better weather window. Instead I am going to hike liberty and found with a couple of friends. Enjoy the great trail conditions!

Today was the day to be up there, the winds were not that bad, around 20 MPH. I needed face protection of course but no goggles. Hope you get your Presi Day soon enough :)

-Chris

Although the weather was ok for an Adams summit it was still windy at the top and windy in the Starr Lake area, it was a little eerie! It was not a "good" day for a traverse, the wind was coming in from the south and in your face right from treeline.....

Although the weather was ok for an Adams summit it was still windy at the top and windy in the Starr Lake area, it was a little eerie! It was not a "good" day for a traverse, the wind was coming in from the south and in your face right from treeline.....

FWIW, I knew a few people, (and a dog!) yesterday and today that did a traverse and had a great time, so it was a good day for them :)

-Chris

Last edited:
Chris,

I am glad you had a great day on the Presidentials! I read your trip report and the pictures were great. I hiked Liberty and Flume with a friend and we could see all the way to the Presidential Range. I hope to grab another opportunity possibly next weekend if the weather works out.

Chris,
What app/program/device are you using to record your track over a 10 hr or longer period? My GPX app on an I5 is fun to use but sucks down the battery after 5 or 6 hours. Great trek..

Chris,

I am glad you had a great day on the Presidentials! I read your trip report and the pictures were great. I hiked Liberty and Flume with a friend and we could see all the way to the Presidential Range. I hope to grab another opportunity possibly next weekend if the weather works out.

Dan, hope you get in a Presi Traverse next weekend and if not another fun hike :)

Chris,
What app/program/device are you using to record your track over a 10 hr or longer period? My GPX app on an I5 is fun to use but sucks down the battery after 5 or 6 hours. Great trek..

I use a Garmin Forerunner 910XT watch. It has a battery life of twenty hours, I love it!

I did the Baldface Circle on March 13. High winds were in the forecast for the presidential range but the weather was perfect on Baldface. It looks like I will wait until next winter to do more peakbagging and possibly a traverse.