New twist to the 46.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Reaction score
Pin-Pin is rewriting the book on 46er conquests and inspired me to come up with this one.

Accompany someone on their 46th ADK peak on each and every one of the 46er summits.

I believe Wayne Ratowski of Canton, New York, was the first to complete 46 rounds of the 46. Alain Chevrette with PinPin was the second, and a year and a half ago I read in a trailhead register that he'd completed his 50th round. He (now accompanied by PinPin Junior) is probably close to 60 by now, if not beyond.

Don't know about Ratowski since the canisters went. I'm not sure I ever noticed his name in a trailhead register. He always used green ink in the canisters, but if he didn't use it in the register, his name may not have jumped out at me.

I believe that Pin-Pin is working towards completing a round of the 46 during each week of the year. (rumour mill). A single round may be spread over more than one year but would take place within the same week. Perhaps he'll fill you in.

Ratowski was the "smaller" version of Alain. Both extreme accomplished hikers. Ratowski also did them all by the full moon, every month of the year, All Seasons, Multiple Winter Rounds, 46X46, etc. etc. Ratowski took up hiking after I believe a knee or leg injury. The last I heard he is out of state, doing extreme cycling now. Wayne signed in green I believe for the reason being, that, that's the way the old Forty-Sixer letters used to be signed. Wayne didn't sign in at registers as he didn't want "followers." Always hiked alone, I saw. Kept to himself.

With Alain we will let him tell his own record if he wishes.

Last edited:
Wayne is busy travelling... He is working on running a marathon in every state, hitting the tri-points, and the state hi-pointers. He's also gotten back into bicycle racing, which he stopped for some time.

He rarely used to sign the trailhead registers, although he did sign the canister registers. Wayne finished his 46x46 in Feb 2-something (day before Grace's birthday) on Esther, because that was Grace's favorite mountain. Wayne also did the midnight-full-moon 46, which took about 4 years... One peak each 28 days). That was finished on Whiteface, on Dec 31-jan 1 as 1999 rolled in.

Alain is far from 60. Wayne is over 60.

Pin-Pin's name in English is Bit-Bit.

They both also have the all-month 46. They've done the 46 each month of the year.

Their "hero and inspiration" is Fred Hunt, who was the first full-moon 46er. I think Fred was 67 (it was '92 or so) when he finished the full moon 115 (or 111 or 113.. whatever it was then. He did his 46 stuff in the 70's, when winter climbing was definatley much harder. IIRC, Fred was one of the few people allowed to do a solo Katahdin climb. If you look in the index of many of Guy Waterman's books, you'll see something about Fred there.

Oh... Here's a picture that has Wayne and Alain in it. Wayne is next to me, and Alain is next to Janet, who is next to nobody else.

http://newmud.comm.uottawa.ca/~pete/supper.jpg

And here's one with Wayne finishing his 46x46

http://newmud.comm.uottawa.ca/~pete/wayne/Champagne.jpg

Pete_Hickey said:
Pin-Pin's name in English is Bit-Bit.
I always though that the Pin of Pin-Pin was a diminutive of Lapin, the french word for rabbit.

ok, Pete, what are tri-points? I too am going for my HP50 and NE115, but not in every month!!!

Here is a challenge:
Leap day 46er.

You must have climbed every peak on Feb 29th to qualify. This would be a tough one because it would also qualify for W46.

-percious

...I think the toughest part would be that it would take 184 years if you did it one peak per day! Ha!

percious said:
Here is a challenge:
Leap day 46er.

You must have climbed every peak on Feb 29th to qualify. This would be a tough one because it would also qualify for W46.

-percious

Funny I always said that myself. I'm surprised no one has done that yet. It would be a challenge taking a person a good 50 years. It could be done if you started when your 10 years old. I have 3 peaks to my credit on that off-beat day. With quite an off-beat story to go with it.

Neil said:
I always though that the Pin of Pin-Pin was a diminutive of Lapin, the french word for rabbit.

As Bit-Bit is for rabbit :D

Pete_Hickey said:
Nothing to do with peak bagging. It is simply a place where on can stand in three states at the same time. There is only one 4-pointer.

I'm a proud quad-pointer :rolleyes: (left hand in UT, right in CO, left leg in AZ and right in NM all at the same time). It's not as easy as it seems, you'll need a map, money for airfare and a rental car, AT A MINIMUM :D.

On a more serious note;

I certainly wouldn't take anything away from Mr. Hunt or Alain (along with Jr.) as they both are amazing, but I've always been really intriqued with John E. Winkler. If I remember correctly, isn't he is the ONLY one with the designation of "B" after his 46r status? I find it hard to believe he is the ONLY one to have bushwhacked every peak (something I'd love to do and occasionally plug away at). Certainly he's not the only one by now? Not likely with the true peakbagging warriors out there today.

How was it given to him and was it just a 1-time deal for him only because he was first. I always wondered that why there is no others. Also, hasn't Alain completed at least 1 winter ADK100 round (a simply mindboggling feat to me), and I'd imagine there ain't many, if any, that could make that claim.

Last edited:
True information

Hi Neil, Pete, mavs00 and Raymond, ;)

Wayne was and is a real source of inspiration and motivation for Pinpin and now Junior.
Wayne is the only people hiked 11 X 46 alone in the Winter.
Wayne poushed Pinpin in the consecutive seasons, in the full moon plan and in the 46 X 46 rounds.
We hiked only one time with this unbelievable man, Nye & Street and it was a nice story, Wayne and Me have a different story of this event.....

Just to be sure, everybody will have the true story:

Between dec 21 01 & marsh 21 01, many time with Tom Haskin & a few time with Janet Stein and Eric Schlimmer , Pinpin hike the highest one hundred.

I was never able to realise this plan without Tom & Janet, when You live at 2 h 30 m. of High Peaks Region You need a place to live part-time...to made a hike plan, start early and recuperate.....have a partner is a must.

Tom had the project to hike the higest one hundred list at the end of the High Peaks Region guide in one winter and changed his plan to finished the one hundred, It was the first to finish the one hundred in Winter on Mac Naughton Mtn with Pinpin the marsh 10 02. But He was not hiking all the 46 in this same Winter.

Pinpin had the same goal, but with two lists, the same list and the Swamson-Crispo list. The difference in the Adk list # 100 is Peak, Unnamed (Brown Pond) 3425. in the S-C list # 100 is Little Santanoni Mtn 3504. To finish in one winter, this plan Pinpin hiked the higest 120 on the S-C list Sawtooth Mtn (NW Pk) 3415 inclusing the higes hundred Adk list. Because We passed near other peaks We hiked also 8 other peaks in the S-C list, the real number peaks was 128 differents in this uncredible winter.

Pinpin finished this goal in Blue Ridge (W Pk) 3428 and Blue Ridge (E Pk) 3474, marsh 11 02, the day after Tom finished his goal, and finished the 120 on other Blue Ridge (W Pk) 3451 marsh 18 02.

For Us Tom is the first 100 higest in Winter and Pinpin the first in one Winter. ;)

Everybody, the big difference in this plan was very few peoples hike out of the usual 46 specialy in Winter, every day We need to broken the route and usualy in bush hike!!! After this winter broken the trail or path in the 46 it a little bit different!!!

Raymond Yes We are near of 60.. ;)

Pinpin Junior or Bitbit Junior. :rolleyes:

Pin-Pin, Bit-Bit, Alain:
I am truly envious of what you have done/are doing. To have the project, the focus, the resources, the fitness, the time and the ability to carry it out is truly wonderful and life affirming. Knowing myself, given a different set of life circumstances, I would be in there like a dirty shirt. Perhaps in 10 years, when I am almost 60, I'll be in a position to pursue my own (very watered down) version of your exploits. In the meantime, keep going and keep inspiring the rest of us mere mortals.

À bientôt,
Neil

Alain,

If you don't mind me asking, "What exactly have you completed with the 46 High Peaks, as far as Winter Rounds, All-Season Rounds, Full Moons, Unique Variations in General?"

Didn't you start climbing around 1997, with Cliff being one of your first climbs?

I'm sure many of us are "curious" about your climbing records.

Neil said:
Pin-Pin, Bit-Bit, Alain:
I am truly envious of what you have done/are doing. To have the project, the focus, the resources, the fitness, the time and the ability to carry it out is truly wonderful and life affirming. Knowing myself, given a different set of life circumstances, I would be in there like a dirty shirt. Perhaps in 10 years, when I am almost 60, I'll be in a position to pursue my own (very watered down) version of your exploits. In the meantime, keep going and keep inspiring the rest of us mere mortals.

À bientôt,
Neil

Well said........ I feel the same. At this point in my life I'm more into just making my own way to summits, special spots, etc. I know trails are useful and necessary, but lately they just bore me (I can't explain why). Unfortunatly, right now, with where I'm at in my life it's not possible to spend more than 25-35 days a year in the mountains (living over 275 miles away).

That will change in time as the kids grow to adulthood. I admire you and those with your spirit of adventure and someday (god willing) I'll finish the ADK100 & ADK46 - B myself. Thanks for the inspiration.

Last edited:
One or two things...

Hi Skyclimber2971w. :)

Ok We lift a part of the curtain:

I started my first round in Cascade & Porter the September 21 1996 and finished in Saddlback the November 30 1996.

I started my first winter round in Whiteface & Esther the December 21 1996 and finished in Emmons the Marsh 3 1997.

I started my first full Moon hike in Marcy the June 20-21 1997, just one day before I recupered Pinpin, I was losing Pinpin in Seward the November 19 1996. It is Beverley and friends found my guide after this long time under the snow. I finished my last full Moon in Colvin the Febuary 8-9 2001 (46 consecutives full Moons)

I finished my 46 X 46 in Phelps the October 27 2002.

Since September 21 1996, I never lose a season and finished my 34 consecutives seasons in Allen the Febuary 9 2005.

For the other questions, for a reason of keep the suspence, We prefer keep the answer for a other time, How many Winter rounds? the peoples will came in the mars 26 winter gattering will know this thing at this time. ;)

Have a great time. :D

Pinpin Junior.