Winter Boots

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scarpy

Reaction score
I'm sure I've seen this thread before but I can't seem to find it. I've been wearing Columbia Bugaboots for the past few years. I like them but I get about two years out of them before they start to leak. I don't think I want mountaineering boots. What are people happy with?

I love my Keen Summit Country III. Very comfortable..wide bed and WARM couldn't be happier list is 150..I paid 115 at REI last year

I really have liked these, http://www.zappos.com/new-balance-mo1099-black I ditch the insert and replace it with montrail heat moldable inserts. They come in wide and extra wide. They are typical New Balance tight sizing so consider going up one size especially if you use the Montrail insert. I have gotten two years on my first pair but expect that 2 years is about as good as you will get for non plastic winter boots.

I picked up a new pair of the Vasque Snowburban Ultradry. Very warm. Almost a mountaineering boot. They're stiffer and higher than your average hiking boot. They've got a few bells and whistles too!

Warm enough is always relative. They work for the temp range I generally regard as acceptable for me to go out in winter. Generally around zero to 5 below at the trailhead and they work for me. I think I gained a bit of rating by going with the Montrail inserts over the stock insoles. One tradeoff is that a soft boot will compress over the top of the foot more when used with standard snowshoe bindings like MSRs. ( I do miss my Tubbs as the binding didn't compress the top of the boot). It just means I need to be bit less aggressive on pulling hard on the straps to reduce compression of the insulation and keep blookf flowing. I have used my strap on Grivels on occasion with no issues. If you are planning on front pointing the sole is probably too flexible. The tradeoff is they really flex well for walking and are a lot more comfortable than any other winter boot. Traction without microspikes is less than vibram lug soles but I rarely go without some sort of traction. The sole in general smaller volume than the Columbia style vibram lookalikes so they fit in bindings better. They use primaloft for insulation and the rest of the boot is synthetic materials. I actually could use one size smaller Hillsounds compared to my Columbia boots (XXL to XL)

I just checked and they are on sale on the new balance website, which normally means they are closing out for the season. They didn't produce them last winter so when they came out with the special edition this year I grabbed a pair. I have to grab them when I can as they don't make many size 13 EEEEs in a production run.

I've recently reverted to putting a felted wool insole in my winter boots of all types. It adds a considerable amount of warmth and was standard practice when I was a kid growing up in Minnesota. I put them under the insole that comes with the boot and adjust my sock thickness to accommodate them. I recommend having a couple of different thicknesses available for various requirements. Examples are available at Wolfsong Wear's Wool Felt Boot Liners & Insoles

I picked up a new pair of the Vasque Snowburban Ultradry. Very warm. Almost a mountaineering boot. They're stiffer and higher than your average hiking boot. They've got a few bells and whistles too!

I did too! I was worried that they were for shoveling driveways etc but I saw the gaitor eyelet and 50% off sales at REI.. I am so happy that I have them..they are warm and I have used them with snowshoes and crampons... I never had a light boot which had so much ankle support.

I will offer that, based on my previous positive experience with Columbia Ice Dragon IIs, I decided to try the Bugaboot. I am not happy with it. It's narrower, which fits my MSR Evo Ascents (the Ice Dragons did not), but it's not as warm (both are rated at -45/600g), and it's already showing wear, and it hurts my toes after a longer day.

Tim

Thanks for the input. Looks like I'll have to wait until next year. Selection has all but disappeared.

After trying out a pair at Highland Center, we have been very happy with the LL Beam Wildcat boot. Lighter than felts, and much less bulky.