Marcy Dam - does anyone camp there anymore???

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MylesLI

Reaction score
Let me preface this by saying ..I'm older than most here. Just turned 60

My first time at Marcy Dam was 1975 and I forgot that I really have a "love" for this part of the High Peaks. Open trails and great views

My first time back, I avoid the crowds at the Loj and have trekked out of Keene Valley for the last few years

Went in on Thursday in the morning...no other campers the whole time..left on Saturday Great trip..very clear and cold (-30 on Thurs/-25 Friday)

I was amazed that I saw 150 people skiing in and snowshoeing on Saturday!! WOW what a change ... all day trippers.. no one I saw equipped for overnight

Is it the evolution of gear that makes a day in deep and then out the same day the difference? I love camping in the cold and LOVED the serenity. Is it the dinosaur in me? :)

You cannot believe how Phelps has changed. Almost 31 years to the day I was there for the first time and just back from my second time...the growth is very impressive! The last stretch before the top is so different than it was...beautiful especially with snowshoes (we post holed it up back in the day, much to Ranger Fish's consternation)

I used to go with a group in February for 3 days. Someone else made the plans. One year we drove over and stopped in the lodge and the no campfires in the high peaks year round rules were posted. We had a cold three days at Marcy Dam. I can agree with the resource degradation aspects but I know the group found other places to camp afterwards. Just isn't the same without a campfire in the winter. I expect others have the same feelings.

I can honeslt say that in over 30 years of ADK overnights in the winter, I have never had a fire..only the stove

My one and only trip to the Adirondacks, we camped near Marcy Dam. We skied in on a road to the dam, then followed a trail to the left for about 200 yards. We set up camp there, and the guy I was with said this is "where they always go".

It was damn cold that night. Trees were snapping all night. I can't tell you how cold, but, two guys skied and and met us in the morning to go up to the summit. They said when they left the lot at 6:00 AM, it was -18. I have to believe it got down to -25 where we were, but I don't know. I had a -40 bag, and was warm in bed, barely.

There seemed to be a few other camps set up in the area that night.

that road is a pretty common route for skiiers..especially before the LOJ trail was re-routed and simplified. I was amazed at the growth along the road over the years...

I guess I can understand the draw of the Adirondack High Peaks region, especially for those bent on earning the 46er patch, and first timer visitors who do minimal research. Particularly the highway-like trail to Marcy Dam and environs. But know that the Adirondacks is so much larger than that and has far more to offer than overly trodden trails and campsites to be shared with dozens of other hikers.

Six million acres make up the Adirondacks, with nearly half that being fully open to the public, trailed and untrailed. Get away from the touristy renown draw of the high peaks, and there is so much more wilderness to explore. Places where you have much more freedom, and wild places where fires are not banned with few other restrictions other than making sense with LNT. Having said that, even if allowed, I rarely if ever have an open fire these days myself, unless I am guiding a group for that purpose.

Last edited:
Stay out long enough in the ADK and the merits of a good fire will surely ring true.

My first time at Marcy Dam was 1975 and I forgot that I really have a "love" for this part of the High Peaks.

WOW what a change ... all day trippers.. no one I saw equipped for overnight

I love camping in the cold and LOVED the serenity.

Same deal here. Started there about 1974.
We used to hike, in order to camp. It was "Winter Backpacking", not Hiking or Mountaineering or Peak Bagging.
Summits were cool, but not the real goal. When I got back into it I was surprised how few people camped.
ALL I've EVER done in the ADKs is winter backpacking for the surrounding peaks, basically out of the Marcy Dam area.
I've probably done that 20 times. I have no experience there with the mud, bugs, crowds and bear.
In the 70's, when fires were permitted, people were hacking down saplings and parts of the lean-tos to burn. So, yeah.
Congratulations. Enjoy the serenity.

I just sent out a thread and it got erased! waaa....I camped out there 3 weeks ago, temps were app -8F. I had a sled and ended up using it for a rescue of a 14yo boy wih an ankle injury. We helped his father pull him to the Loj. Then we went back to finish setting up. Ate some chow and went into my bag. Oh boy, nothing like frozen condensation on your bag to wake you up! Then I rolled to the other side and froze that up! Tough sleeping but I grabbed some zzzzz's. I always wanted to do that after seeing or hearing about Chips adventure many years ago. Now that I'm ready he's a cabin man up in NH! Which is also very nice. One day I'll go back there by the Dam, it was very peaceful. By the way i live in Plainview and just came back from the ADKHP gathering this past weekend. Lots' of fun, I hiked Whiteface wit the Rankin's. Wow! it was windy at one point.

wow Chip, we are both OLD. :) Your story is exactly mine, except we never did the fire.

Coldfeet..very cool!!

I too have become a wuss for the last several years and tend to do long winter day hikes instead of overnights. When I did camp overnight at established areas I would empty my sled, and then go up the trail 10 or 15 minutes and load up on deadfall on either side of the trail. With a couple of bungee cords and my sled I could haul a lot of wood for a campfire in a short period of time. Unfortunately the same morons who hack up live trees also tend to be too lazy to go any distance thus concentrating the damage and leading to the need to ban fires. In a place that gets heavy use like the high peaks I respect the no fire rules and just go elsewhere that has less winter impact.

Hey Chip, I know thanks. I would like to go back to that shelter on the AT back in CT one day or some other cool places. Snow is melting and paddle season is starting, maybe a paddle on the Great Swamp in Patterson NY for a gathering one weekend when it warms up. Keep me in the loop.

MylesLI , I have been going to Harriman with some forum friends usually once a month. Not as cool as the ADK of course but a nice close get away. Keep in touch and send a pm.

Chip: I know that "senior member" refers to your status on the site...for me it will mean Im the oldest here!! :)

Coldfeet: sounds awesome!

MylesLI ...60? Don't think your the oldest! There are a ton of members that I've hiked with that are older and doing some serious butt sliding down those high peaks!

To the gentlemen from Long Island - although I'm from Westchester county originally I have been a Baldwin (& before that Long Beach) resident since 1985. My first time over Marcy was a 5 day backpacking trip. We camped at little Marcy Leanto (us old guys remember that one, eh???) Then a night at Lake Tear leanto; down the Opalescent River and across the frozen expanse of .Lake Colden, across a frozen Avalanche Lake. We also camped at Marcy Dam. This was winter 1974. We used wood snowshoes, wool pants, shirts, long underwear. frame packs and 'mouse boots' (remember those?) as well as new technology (i.e. down sleeping bags and parkas seems like a lifetime ago. What hasn't changed is my love for these places. I am not concerned whether less people want to camp there. I will always continue to backpack in & camp. Don't need a fire. Don't care if I have to carry a bear cannister (although there's nothing like a proper bear hang). Ah yes & I haven't been scolded by Peter Fish in years(LOL). Do it til I can't anymore. Being old is fine, have 46'ed and climbed most solo & many times over. That's why 40+ years later I keep coming back.