ATC asking thru hikers to register

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B the Hiker

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.middletownpress.com/life...il-launches-voluntary-thru-hiker-registration

# # #

HARPERS FERRY, W.Va. >> The Appalachian Trail Conservancy has launched a voluntary registration system for people attempting to hike the entire trail.

The conservancy says the goal is to protect the 2,185-mile-long trail from overcrowding. Overcrowding can result in trampled vegetation, an accumulation of trash and unsanitary conditions.

Regional director Morgan Sommerville says in a recent news release that hikers need to spread out along the trail.

Sommerville says the conservancy hopes the registration system will allow thru-hikers to know in advance when overcrowding will occur and then adjust the start date of their hike.

Thru-hikers can register online at www.appalachiantrail.org/thruhikeregistration. The conservancy says the system doesn’t guarantee spaces along the trail and it’s not a substitute for any required permits.

The trail runs from Georgia to Maine.

The Pacific Crest Trail skipped the voluntary registration and jumped right to mandatory registration with a usage cap. They have somewhat better ability to control thru hiker traffic as the FS already enforces mandatory registration on the John Muir trail so they can piggyback the enforcement. The usage of the PCT had jumped substantially and the Wild movie is expected to substantially increase the usage

A telling statement on the ATC announcement is
" This voluntary registration system is intended to help you avoid crowding. If enough hikers voluntarily choose to disperse themselves to reduce crowding and learn best Leave No Trace practices, additional regulations to manage thru-hikers can be avoided even as the number of hikers increases." ATC is desperately trying to prep for the expected onslaught of thru hikers that they expect will be released once the Robert Redford Walk in the Woods movie is released.

The Pacific Crest Trail skipped the voluntary registration and jumped right to mandatory registration with a usage cap.

Just to clarify, there is no usage cap on the PCT. PCT hikers are required to carry a (free) permit, but mine was never checked - although as you mentioned, in the JMT section there is occasional enforcement.

I believe that the potential impact of "Wild" on the PCT is WAY overblown in regards to thru-hiking. I predict increased day/weekend use is a much more likely outcome.

There now is a usage cap of 50 hikers each day for starting this year. Unlike the AT, the Campo event is focusing a lot of hikers to start all in very short period.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthr...m-of-50-thru-hikers-allowed-to-start-each-day.

My assumption is that the permit is the one that allows thru hikers to hike the JMT without specific reservations. Of course there is no control of the hikers after they leave the border so they can gang up and overwhelm the trail resources if they want to. Reportedly some long term trail angels have closed or limited their services as they already cant handle the new bubble that has occurred in the last few years.

I was sectioning the AT when a Walk in the Woods caused a significant increase in AT starts and completions, many folks attributed it as the reason they were hiking. There was reportedly a large bump up in usage of the PCT when Wild came out as a book and I expect there will be a lot more folks trying to start the PCT this year due to the movie. Of course the record drought in CA will probably cause a high drop out rate. Only time will tell.

I look at these stats and think "Crap, we need a CDT movie." Hordes of hikers, stock, mountain bikes...we'll take 'em all! (Just bring your own water.)

Wow - I clearly stand corrected! I have been following this issue and hadn't seen this decision, I had heard about the possibility of two separate ADZPCTKO dates and a voluntary start date registration system.

Personally, I think this is a very good idea - although I loved attending the KO (I started a week before and hitched back from Warner Springs) it was clear even back in 2012 that Lake Morena was maxed out - the septic system was overwhelmed.

Hiker Heaven has closed shop, Tom's is been shut down...

The times, they are a changin'!