Kid backpacks?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pudgy_groundhog

Reaction score
Up until now our daughter (age seven, ~ 48 inches tall, ~ 50 lbs) has carried a small Camelback or has not carried a pack at all. We'd like to get her a good daypack (not sure of capacity yet) so she can start to carry a little more weight. Any recommendations on packs your kids have used and liked? Thanks!

We used their book bags when they were school age. Usually, on day hikes, they carry a fanny back with water, food and a jacket, while I'm still carrying extra stuff. I have warned my soon to be 12 year old son that the day he carries the weight is coming soon. When he became scout age (11), I did get him a Kelty Jr. Tioga external frame back. It should adjust for a couple of years and he wore it last year into Zealand Hut without any issue.

I wouldn't spend too much as they will quickly outgrow it.

My daughter (age 4) has been using an REI Sprig pack, which I believe is 12 liters. She's had it for a while due to a g-tube feeding pump that she needs, and this allowed her to be a bit more mobile. We obviously use it for other things, and she's able to stuff a decent amount in it, when needed. sprig.jpg

Up until now our daughter (age seven, ~ 48 inches tall, ~ 50 lbs) has carried a small Camelback or has not carried a pack at all. We'd like to get her a good daypack (not sure of capacity yet) so she can start to carry a little more weight. Any recommendations on packs your kids have used and liked? Thanks!

My girls are a year or two older but we've been very happy with the Osprey Kids packs. We bought them the Acer and they have worked out great. Its a legitimate pack with a great suspension. they make a 30 and a 50. I don't think that refers to the size (liters). It's more room than they will most likely use at first but something they can be comfortable in now and also use as they grow and can carry more of the gear. EMS has them.

My son has had an Osprey Ace 48 and liked it, although he was 10 when he first got it. It was more for backpacking due to the size. The number does relate to the volume in liters as per Osprey's website and personal experience. We found out, by chance, after a backpacking trip that he actually had more pack space than I did. No wonder I had a harder time packing my gear! LOL!

Anyway, I know that some of the Osprey kid's packs have an adjustable torso length. Not sure about their entire line. This is really nice when you've invested a tidy sum into a pack and would like it last more than one season! Now my son is bigger than I am and I think the Ace 48 would still adjust to his longer torso length. He's into adult gear now anyway, so I'm not sure it matters. Can't keep them little forever.

For just day hikes, I think the economical way of dealing with the pack issue is to use their school backpacks. We've done that, too. They probably already have them, they fit reasonably well and since the pack survived the school year, it has a good chance of surviving the woods, too.

Triple the school backpack recommendations. Both sons used these and they were fine. They easily hold 10lbs comfortably (20% of her body weight which is way more than my winter pack to my body weight 14%). She will be in adult packs in 5-7 years (enjoy, the time goes FAST). When they were my size they got to use my older packs and I got new gear. Win Win. :)
When they went to college and moved out :( a new pack of their liking makes a nice gift.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I'm not keen on using her school backpack because it's kind of bulky and seems to shift around a lot when scrambling. Also I like having a good setup to use a water bladder, which isn't ideal with her school pack. I think we'll look into some of the Osprey or REI packs. Maybe I can score something on ebay. I don't mind spending $40 though (what some of the REI packs go for). It's worth it just to have her carry all the rocks she wants to lug around. :p

Thanks Chip!

Hi! Just seeing this now, but we got the REI sprig for our daughter last year to use on overnights. It worked out great, good fit, nice features. She carries her sleeping pad, some clothes, snacks, water, Crocs, and there is room for more. My nephew, same age, had the rei tarn, on clearance right now. It's a little bigger with great features also. I recommend either. Hope you have some great trips this year!