Vertigo

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Driver8

Reaction score
West Hartford, CT (Photo: Sages Ravine, Salisbury,
Anyone have to wrestle with vertigo issues? I never have, until this weekend. Woke up Saturday and, upon sitting up, got a disturbing wobble of dizziness. So far, from the investigation I've done on the subject, it appears my case is relatively mild and, as I hope, may be a passing thing.

But as I love hiking and want to continue tougher treks in the Whites and elsewhere, this news worries me. Anyone else here had to deal with dizziness or know of people who have? What can you share?

Definitely check with your doctor. There are many causes of vertigo and it's impossible to diagnose anything over the computer. Figuring out what is causing the problem should be the first order of business.

Definitely check with your doctor. There are many causes of vertigo and it's impossible to diagnose anything over the computer. Figuring out what is causing the problem should be the first order of business.
What David said. Many causes are benign, some need serious followup.

I woke up one night with a worrisome case of dizziness and said, "So this is how it's going to end ..." The next day it was diagnosed as an inner ear infection, something messed up the eustachian tubes, and it cleared as quickly as it came up.

I had occasional problems with Meniere's disease that would hit unexpectedly over a ten year period from the mid 80s to mid 90s then just as suddenly disappeared. I haven't had any recurrence in the last 20 years. As mentioned above, the symptoms could come from something more serious and should checked out by your doctor.

Do see the doc if it persists. It can be a lot of things and really dang hard to diagnose, so you'll probably wind up with several visits if it's something at all serious. For me, it turned out to be (most likely) encephalitis, and the "cure" was basically to wait it out (12 months total). I found that the Epley maneuver did help manage the vertigo and let me sleep; the doc should be able to give you a sheet with the procedure but otherwise Google is your friend. (If you don't have "a side," which I didn't, doing both sides is fine.) It's specifically recommended for a very particular sort of condition but seems to be effective for "vertigo otherwise unexplained."

Agree with everyone above - see the doctor. While we're telling our stories, in my case it was a damaged inner ear from a particularly violent sneezing fit the evening before. This was 1999. I woke up COMPLETELY disabled; I could not even crawl to the bathroom without help. Got taken to the ER, saw the doc, got meds, was out of work for three days (longest "out sick" of my career). Gradually got better over about 2-3 weeks, no recurrence.

Thanks for your feedback - absolutely going to see a doctor fairly soon if it doesn't resolve. I posed the question not from that standpoint, but rather working from the assumption, based on my readings and friend consults so far, that it might linger for a bit even if benign, as I believe it likely is.

The guidance/voice of experience I'm looking for here is how fellow hikers, stuck with a bothersome case of vertigo, have coped with it or integrated into their hiking, or not.

I'm thinking if it persists for a while, it would influence me in the direction of less rocky trekking, and of course steering clear of exposure. Hoping it's only briefly a guest in the Hotel Stratton, fingers crossed.

Definitely see your doctor. There are a variety of things that can cause those symptoms. I had a similar issue last fall. Turned out to be an inner ear infection. They still did an MRI to be safe though, and everything was fine. I had symptoms for about 10 days, and it took a few days to totally dissipate once it started improving. Hope you feel better soon.

I would see your doctor immediately.

I had vertigo once back in 1999. The doctor gave me some medicine (forgot what it was) and it cleared it up in a week. So it might be something as simple as that. During that week it would usually strike in the morning when I first woke up. I have never had it since, so you don't need to assume it will necessarily be something chronic. Waiting to get treatment won't help.

But the vertigo can be totally debilitating. I remember how the whole world was spinning and the awful naseau that came with it. Definitely not something you could realistically expect to hike with, even on a flat trail. Lying down or crawling (miserably) were the only options when it struck. Would be a bad situation when you can still freeze to death. Its not something you can really hike with. I'd say give it time (many weeks) until you are sure you are over it. If it were something you had chronically that would randomly strike, I'd stick to hiking with company, and this is coming from someone who solos everything.

I've had issues with vasovagel syncopy since I was a little kid. The part of my brain that is supposed to consistently regulate my blood pressure gets flaky sometimes, but it's mostly predictable when I'll have an issue. The symptoms range from light headedness all the way to tunnel vision then unconsciousness. Sitting up too fast is pretty much a guarantee I'll get dizzy, especially first thing in the morning if I'm dehydrated. If it was less predictable, I'd be scared to do pretty much anything other than walking around my house slowly with a helmet on, honestly. The only thing I can do is lay down on my back and get my feet above my head until the blood goes back to my brain, I picked that trick up after I got a few stitches in my scalp a few different times unfortunately...

If that was your first and only time getting vertigo, it's not likely to be a chronic thing. Definitely get yourself to a doctor if it keep happening, though. Definitely don't let yourself get dehydrated, though.

I had a case a few years ago where I was completely messed up for a week, couldn't work, etc. I did see my doctor, but they didn't have an answer besides possible allergic reaction having to do with the inner ear. It mostly cleared in a few weeks. To my intense annoyance it lingered in a weird low-level way for months, but eventually disappeared and never resurfaced, thank god. I don't think it would have bothered any hiking after the first week, but it bothered riding my horse for months. I would be walking him down the road and have to grab mane. He was quite unsympathetic too. :)

He was quite unsympathetic too. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqZ4UUDoZGs

Off topic, but I thought of this (very old) video immediately...

Back to vertigo, I was glad in my case that the cause was obvious, so I didn't have to wonder about unpredictable disease processes. My symptoms were bad for a few days, and lingering for another couple weeks. For a couple weeks I would have to slide one hand along the wall as a guide in order to walk down the hall at work.

Ignomer - I also experience a little of what they call "postural hypotension" (stand up too quick, get dizzy). Less often now that I'm older and have slightly high blood pressure (a side benefit, I suppose). Another trick I have learned that works pretty fast when you feel the symptom start is to isometrically contract your leg and core muscles - it squeezes some blood back upstairs, and may save you from having to lay down.

Make sure you`re hydrated, & have something to eat. It could be as simple as that. I found that out for myself, recently.

This is more commen then you might think. It does run in my family to different degree's. It is often misdiagnosed, it took me 5 doctors to find someone to properly diagnose and treat my MOM, who suffered with this for years. There is a treatment that can cure this, it takes about a half hour. It does not prevent it from coming back, so additional treatments may be required, but it will give you relief. If you find yourself diagnosed properly and are interested in the treatment, we go to an office in Bedford, NH. PM me and I'll gladly pass on the office info.

I've had vertigo only twice in my life (so far) spaced years apart and each time it came on suddenly. After my first episode I learned of the Epley Maneuver and tried it out the next time it happened. The vertigo resolved more rapidly when I used the maneuver. None of the episodes lasted more than a week.

It has to do with crystals forming in your canal up there. Sometimes they just go away on there own, sometimes they do not. The therapy, dislodges them to bring relief.

Thanks for your helpful feedback and info, everyone. Based on five days' experience, I believe my case is likely benign and hopefully temporary. Its worst when I transition to and from lying down, where it manifests about 80% of the time. It's of varying severity when I otherwise shift my head position. If my head remains pretty stable, I have little to no problem. Definitely something to do with the core inner ear processes.

I plan to get into the doc next week for a checkup - this week's no good. Will get an ear doc referral - been forever since I've been to one.

Happened to me last summer while working at a sleep away camp, scared the heck out of me. Docs gave me some type of motion sickness pills, took about 2 days to get better. then it happened again around Oct. Went to ear dr and all ok. I put off the balance test which was stupid on my part. If it happens again I will go for the full test. I suggest you do that and find out as much as you can. I hope you feel better.

Happened to me last summer while working at a sleep away camp, scared the heck out of me. Docs gave me some type of motion sickness pills, took about 2 days to get better. then it happened again around Oct. Went to ear dr and all ok. I put off the balance test which was stupid on my part. If it happens again I will go for the full test. I suggest you do that and find out as much as you can. I hope you feel better.

Yeah, I'm leaning, as it were, toward that. More information in such instances is better than less. Thanks for sharing your experience - I hope it doesn't recur for you.

Update: My vertigo had all but vanished by Tuesday, but made an unpleasant return Wednesday and Thursday, with a nasty flare-up Friday afternoon. Got a dr appt on short notice - had scheduled one for next Thurs - and it was confirmed I have, most likely, a garden variety case of malfunctioning crystals in one ear, exacerbated by a mild upper respiratory infection since mid-week. Hoping it will make its way hence as the sniffles recede. Hitting the gym and walking the flats until things get right.