Looking for 7/12 partner for Borah, Idaho

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PatnJane

Reaction score
I plan to hike Idaho's highpoint on July 12,2005 and would rather go with a strong hiker than have to hire a guide service. It is a 5500' straight up climb with a place called Chicken-out ridge near the top. This is part of my 9 highpoint attempt this summer.
Jane Gibbons

summitpost.com

jane,

summitpost.com has a good webpage on mt. borah. it also has a trip report from someone who climbed borah at the end of june.

email me if you want to discuss the pros and cons of hiring a guide for borah (it sounds like i am in your same circumstances regarding hiring a guide for some class 4 colorado peaks this summer).

hope this supplements info you already have,

dave

Hey Jane,

My understanding of Borah is that it's a steep, tough climb (5000 feet of elevation gain in about 3.5 miles :D ) with some "knife edge" exposure points. That said, sounds cool to me :D :D ! My big problem, like everyone, is work. I just put in for a bunch of time off to do some other climbing. I have the week of July 4th off and don't think I could get the next week off as well. But I'm willing to try. Any chance the date could vary? How are you planning to travel there?

Date

The date for the Borah climb is pretty fixed as I have other peaks scheduled and have made camping reservations before and after July 12. My husband and I are driving out west in our camper van, starting near the end of June and returning near the beginning of August. He can only do the easier climbs. I am arranging hikes up 9 state high points. I have hiking companions or guides for all except Borah. We live in western Maine. It seems that once people have done Borah, they aren't interested in doing it again! Please reply via my email at [email protected]

Borah

I climbed Borah in August, 2003. No guide, but I met and went with a Highpointer group. We were lucky not to have snow in the notch.
I am NOT a technical climber and don't like exposure. The peak is doable, but I do not recommend going alone. Will try to answer any questions.......
Sara
[email protected]