Netflix has some new mountain movies

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just watched "Finding Traction" and really enjoyed it. Very introspective and inspiring. It's streaming on Amazon Prime now.

I finally got around to seeing DamNation. A+ movie, all around. Following up on that is Artifishal, which came out last year. Both are made by Patagonia, with one focusing on the damage done by large dams, and the latter on the damage done by fisheries. Both are free on Patagonia's YouTube channel.

The producers do a really fine job of balancing the disturbing with the positive, and the cinematography is phenomenal. Makes me want to go out and buy a fishing pole. I highly recommend both.

Brian

Banff's movies have been a wonderful feast during my work shutdown.

For those with daughters especially, Deer139 is a fun movie. It's not an epic adventure, just a small one, which makes the movie approachable. Three women track a mule deer from its winter grounds to where the herd goes in the summer. All-female cast. Funny at times.

Brian

FWIW, All of the Banff Mountain Film Festival films for this past year are available for free here:

https://www.docdroid.net/lR9Mzcw/banff-movie-festival-pdf
That's how the list has been described, but it's not...it's a list of all Banff films from any year that are available for free, so it's not including everything from this year (the 2019 festival and 2020 tour). For instance, Brian's rec of Deer139 isn't on the list. Good stuff to watch, nonetheless.

That's how the list has been described, but it's not...it's a list of all Banff films from any year that are available for free, so it's not including everything from this year (the 2019 festival and 2020 tour). For instance, Brian's rec of Deer139 isn't on the list. Good stuff to watch, nonetheless.

Thanks for the clarification. Now I get to watch more films!

Bought it and it was pretty enjoyable. Considering buying it was 2x the rental fee, if at some point I have scouts and leaders watch it or I watch it again, it will be worth buying.i

There is no shortage of AT documentaries following this formula on youtube for free. Many with superior production quality.

There is no shortage of AT documentaries following this formula on youtube for free. Many with superior production quality.

Any specific recommendations? I've exhausted my list of hangover Sunday hiking movies and I'm a cheap bastard when it comes to movie rentals. I think the only ones I've actually paid to go see and/or watch are Free Solo and Meru.

Max Lowe, the son of Alex Lowe, has made a magnificent movie, Torn.

Alex Lowe, of course, died in an avalanche where his partner Conrad Anker survived. Anker went on to marry Max Lowe's mother, Jennifer. This movie is an exploration of many painful issues not typically discussed on the climbing world (although a notable exception is Maria Coffey's "Where the Mountain Casts Its Shadow: The Dark Side of Extreme Adventure"), and it does so in a personal way that pulled this viewer in.

Available on Disney+

Another "Torn" recommendation, it's more human drama about a mountaineering legend's family and partner.

Max Lowe, the son of Alex Lowe, has made a magnificent movie, Torn.

Alex Lowe, of course, died in an avalanche where his partner Conrad Anker survived. Anker went on to marry Max Lowe's mother, Jennifer. This movie is an exploration of many painful issues not typically discussed on the climbing world (although a notable exception is Maria Coffey's "Where the Mountain Casts Its Shadow: The Dark Side of Extreme Adventure"), and it does so in a personal way that pulled this viewer in.

Available on Disney+

https://films.nationalgeographic.com/torn

I thought Torn was really good. Definitely and interesting and unique documentary. Conrad Anker seems like such a decent kindhearted guy. Thanks for recommending this.

I thought Torn was really good. Definitely and interesting and unique documentary. Conrad Anker seems like such a decent kindhearted guy. Thanks for recommending this.

The movie is powerful on so many levels! Mountaineering movies, obviously, tend to focus on the mountaineering elements and not the personal side, and Torn did a beautiful job of putting the personal side in perspective.

As a side note, I heard an interview with Jimmy Chin, who said that they put so much of Honnold's personal life in because, when they were filming the movie over the course of several years, they never really believed Honnold would actually try to solo the whole route!

They keep on coming!

Netflix is now streaming Against the Ice.

The movie is based on a true story about a Danish explorer who, in 1909, seeks to determine whether Greenland was a singular land mass, and is abandoned by his crew. With just one other companion, they have to survive on their own for twenty-eight months. If I understand it correctly, the entire movie was filmed on location, in the proper season.

Feast of movies of late, between 14 Peaks, Augmented, Infinite Storm, Torn, and the upcoming Reel Rock 16 which is starting to tour.