Compression Sleeves/Stockings: Do you use them?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

summitseeker

Reaction score
Hi All,

Following a hockey-induced calf injury I began wearing a compression sleeve as part of my recovery. I assumed that these compression stockings were for only injured people but my wife, who is a nurse, has stated that there are many people, Docs included, who wear them on a daily basis.

Their reasoning behind wearing compression stockings/sleeves is to prevent chronic venous insufficiency (CVI). Here is a breakdown from vascular web.org:

“When you walk and your leg muscles squeeze, the venous pump works well. But when you sit or stand, especially for a long time, the blood in your leg veins can pool and increase the venous blood pressure. Deep veins and perforating veins are usually able to withstand short periods of increased pressures. However, sitting or standing for a long time can stretch vein walls because they are flexible. Over time, in susceptible individuals, this can weaken the walls of the veins and damage the vein valves, causing CVI.”

http://www.vascularweb.org/vascularhealth/pages/chronic-venous-insufficiency.aspx

The idea of hikers standing still for a long time does not seem that likely, but some people state that they feel more energized as the compression aids in the transfer of blood back to the heart and, I assume, the stocking/sleeves re-oxygenates the muscles in their legs more easily. Again, this is just my hypothesis on the matter.

So after such a long-winded intro here is the actual question:
How many of you wear compression stocking or sleeves on a regular basis?

Thank you for your time,

Z :D

According to one of the commercials on TV, 'two-thirds of users saw improvement'. Given the prices and those odds, no thanks...

Thanks for posting, Z.

Related to this, I have heard people wear these as a help for plantar fasciitis, since a key to keeping the plantar fascia loose is keeping the Achilles and calf from getting tight since they are all basically one long piece of muscle fiber. As long you brought it up, does anyone have experience using them for this purpose?

I don't wear compression stockings per se but I bought a couple pair of alpaca knee socks that suggested use as compression socks, they are tighter than other socks, and I think they're amongst my most comfortable socks.

I wear smartwool compression socks for running (and trail running). I have not tried them for hiking yet. Only once did I wear them for a long car ride (the day/afternoon after a long run). While I appreciated the support/compression for my calves, the tightness around the upper calve combined with bunching behind my knee from sitting made them somewhat uncomfortable (if only from a friction/pressure point perspective).

I've worn them on long flights as a precaution against DVT development (sitting is SO bad!). Have also worn them while running in tick-infested areas but do not wear them while hiking or running as a rule. They do keep your calves cleaner though!

I've worn them while dealing with calf cramps while running, and as a preventive measure. But I haven't worn them hiking in a long time. They never seemed to do much for me other than make my calves sweat.

I have had some reoccurring Patella tendonitis in the last few weeks. I bought a compression brace made out of neoprene and have already seen great improvement. Kind of the same idea.

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for your insights and opinions. :)

Hi tom, yes, they are not cheap for a quality pair. I do have a suspicious, "snake-oil" kind of feeling about the "copper" sleeves, but I can say that my Smartwool PhD compression sleeves and the traditional hospital kind have provided a 100% benefit to me. ;) I am glad you have also enjoyed them bignslow.

Hi Raven, a pleasure as always.

I haven't heard of this application before, but I can see how they may help alleviate some of the underlying causes of the related muscles. The Mayo Clinic suggests "night splints" as one treatment for helping alleviate PF.

Personally I enjoy having some added support to my calves. I couldn't find a lot of evidence indicating that this type of pressure actually aided the performance of the muscles but most of us have used an ACE bandage before to get through an injury.

I guess the jury is out on the popularity and hiking related applications of compression sleeves/stockings. I am still going to continue to wear mine on the trail.

Besides possibly restricting some blood flow at the ankles and causing cold feet my thought is that they at least provide some element of support and limit swelling. The tightness beneath the knee is also a possible added bonus for certain knee issues (nod to sierra).

Thanks,

I started wearing them after suffering a DVT (blood clot) in my femoral artery. Although I no longer have significant symptoms from the blood clot, I find the socks seem to reduce fatigue and soreness when I'll be spending a long day standing, with relatively little walking, which pretty much describes my typical day at work. I do sometimes wear them hiking, although the effects are most noticeable in the former situation (standing with little walking)
While I was having hip problems, and eventually recovering from hip surgery, I found that wearing full length (foot to hip) stockings reduced my pain somewhat.
For what it's worth, the vascular surgeon who treated me for blood clots wears calf high compression socks every day.

I wear them occasionally while hiking and trail running. Whether they help with performance is debatable. Maybe I could say my calves feel less fatigued after a hard run or hike, but not by much.

If anything I find the added benefit of protection and some extra warmth for the lower legs during a spring, fall or winter run / hike. During the winter they certainly help keep the calve muscle warm, and therefore they don't tighten up from cold. If you're going ultra-light, and traveling a far distance they'll keep you more comfortable than having exposed legs. Combine the compression sleeve with trail running gaiters and your legs are well protected from debris and brush.

Personally I like them... I bought the Hi Viz pair on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Meister-Gradu...1427202247&sr=8-2&keywords=compression+sleeve
\

A thought on these and any supportive gear, including back braces. I can see their occasional use to aid in recovery or provide support under unusual conditions. I would think that extended use would end up weakening the muscles they're supposed to help from non-use...

My thoughts echo Stash's and Dave's when it's quite cold I wear that compression device known as long underwear.

Used to wear heavy boots all the time due to several ankle sprains and fractures from Soccer, VB, wallyball and mostly basketball. Gave up soccer, no rules wallyball, BB and played a better brand of VB so under the net violations were drastically reduced. Now the boots come out more for training (almost like wearing ankle weights) and cold weather.

I also avoid any extra gear that may enhance sweating.

If you are recovering from an injury, have a past or current medical condition or sit still for long periods or stand a lot, I see a value. (When I worked in an office, trying to drink 8 cups of water prevented me sitting very long...)

A thought on these and any supportive gear, including back braces. I can see their occasional use to aid in recovery or provide support under unusual conditions. I would think that extended use would end up weakening the muscles they're supposed to help from non-use...

Hi Stash,

I asked my wife (an RN) about that and she had never heard of compression stocking weakening the muscles. I dug around a little on the web and found this:

"Q: If you continually wear strong compression stockings, are your leg muscles weakened?
A: Compression stockings and bandages have no negative effect on muscles. On the contrary, patients treated by compression have to move a lot, therefore, the leg musculature is thus mobilized and developed."

http://www.myfittingservice.com/compression.htm

I can't speak to the credibility of this company,but they have been selling these products since 1982. I would be surprised if doctors continued wearing graduated compression sleeves if they believed there were possible negative effects (I'm just saying). :)

Here is a decent article on the subject:
http://runnersconnect.net/running-tips/the-science-of-compression-gear-for-runners/

FWIW I will be the first to admit that I am in no way an authority on the subject. I was curious how many people wear them frequently as I seem to see more and more people wearing them running or on the trail.

Thanks for your responses everyone.

Hi Raven, a pleasure as always.

I haven't heard of this application before, but I can see how they may help alleviate some of the underlying causes of the related muscles. The Mayo Clinic suggests "night splints" as one treatment for helping alleviate PF.

Hey Z - Thanks, yes, I've used a brace at night, probably the same thing. It's a velcro enclosed "boot" that essentially holds the toe gently up so the muscle is slightly extended through the night, the "therapeutic position." It does seem to help when the PF shows up, which is fortunately rare (although also fairly unpredictable).

Hi Stash,

I asked my wife (an RN) about that and she had never heard of compression stocking weakening the muscles. I dug around a little on the web and found this:

"Q: If you continually wear strong compression stockings, are your leg muscles weakened?
A: Compression stockings and bandages have no negative effect on muscles. On the contrary, patients treated by compression have to move a lot, therefore, the leg musculature is thus mobilized and developed."

No question that products like this help in recovery. My thought is just that your muscles were designed to support you. If you supplement them then they aren't going to get or remain as strong because they're not working as hard.

Kind of like free weights vs. weight machines for lifting. The free weights require you to use more muscles to control the load and, therefore, work some of the muscles you don;t need with machines. The TRX fitness system does that even more.

Again. Just my thoughts based upon the logic of it.

Hi Stash and Krobi,

These are certainly interesting and though-provoking aspects to consider.

After reading the NPR article I am curious as to what possible performance benefits these items may provide. I think we can all agree that compression has a place in terms of muscle recovery as in the RICE means of dealing with injury (rest, ice, compression, elevation), but despite all the looking around I have been doing I cannot find any solidly credible evidence.

Maybe someone else out there has found some factual information that supports what so many of these companies are purporting as the benefits of compression garments.

Thanks for your insights,

Maybe someone else out there has found some factual information ... Thanks for your insights,Z :D
WHAAAAAAAT? Facts? We don't need no stinkin' facts around here.:D
Actually, there are a lot of opinions, hunches and experiences here that I'd take more seriously than purpoted facts somewhere else. Thank you to those who share their experience and expertise and to the moderators who help mind our manners.