NEHH Peaks in Maine

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rvfvftt

Reaction score
Finished my 48 and my 67 now working on my NEHH Peaks

I plan on closing out my remaining NEHH peaks in Maine hopefully in June & July.
If you are interested in hiking these peaks please contact me. It will probably take four separate multi-day trips to bag all the peaks.
Just getting to the trailhead in most cases is half the battle.

This is my tentative plan
1st trip: Goose Eye, East Baldplate and Elephant
2nd trip: Bigelow South Horn, East Kennebago & Snow (chain of ponds)
3rd trip: Snow (Cup), White Cap & Kennebago
4th trip: Mt Fort and Coe in July (24 to 27)
Not sure when I will do Boundary Peak yet still doing research

Please be advised that these are remote peaks not for the beginner hiker.
Contact me if you are interested or have questions

regards
Richard
[email protected]

1st trip: Goose Eye, East Baldplate and Elephant

Hey Richard, thanks for the post - it caught my eye for a different reason. While on the Goose Eye Trail this past winter, I managed to lose a Panasonic Lumix camera. It's a black (well really dark bluish gray) and silver TZ5 point+shoot. I'm not expecting it still to be functional, but would love to recover the memory card. I would be grateful if you (and any other VFTTer planning to do Goose Eye) would keep my info handy and keep an eye out. Thanks!

Alex
alex [at] nedzel [dot] com

East Baldpate could be combined in one day with Elephant Mountain using the old Frye Brook Approach from East B Hill road assuming Elephant Mountain Road is still open. The Frye Brook approach cuts out about an hour of driving and in my opinion a nicer approach to the Baldpates. If you approach Goose Eye from RT 26 it cuts out a lot more driving.

When I did these (it was a few years ago but I am planning another round this year), I did "the six pack" Boundry, Snow, Kennebegos.... as one trip (spend 4 days) then did the Bigelows and all the ones around there (Crockers, Spaulding...) on another trip, Goose Eye I did seperate but I agree I would have done it with the Baldpates as they are close driving wise. Coe and Fort I did with the Brothers and Baxter and Hamlin. We ended on Elephant. I am hoping to end on something a little nicer than Elephant this time around but will probably do the other mountains in similar fashion. It is a long drive to the six pack and Bigelows for me so the least amount of trips, the better.

You know I am in for most of them. I think they have a point with Baldpate and Goose Eye being so close. I didn't see Elephant and Baldpate together but I will look better at a map when I get home. I did read a nice report about Boundary and Snow together, I think I sent a link to you on that one? I too want to end in Baxter, but I want to get my NEHH and 67 on the same peak. So I have a lot to do outside of Baxter!! I need to get the Sugarloaf-Spaulding-Abraham thing done!! Then we are on the same page, except I need nothing at Bigelow's.....

Hi Richard
I have a straggler in East Kennebago.
When are you thinking you might be up that way?
Perhaps we could do that one together.
Thanks, Dave

Any reason given? (The web site is in French so I cannot read it) Or time frame?

Tim

Translated to English in Chrome...
Road Conditions
Gosford Area and Louise: The main roads will be open Saturday, May 16, 2016.

I looked because I have plans to be up there in a couple weekends. The website claims the roads are currently open.

The roads were closed to dégeler: 'thaw'. Apparently they close them every spring until they are dried out and any necessary repairs have been made. Baxter SP does the same thing.

The web page is pretty bad and not up-to-date, but it does have a contact form and a phone number. They don't seem to pick up the phone, but I left a voicemail and they returned my call the next morning. The roads are open now.

Last edited: