Is there a quailty map of the Maine 4k mountain area around Flagstaff Lake avaialble?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dom15931

Reaction score
I have completed all of the 115 outside of Maine excluding Katahdin which has been completed twice. I have remained intentionally ignorant of this area to leave some fun for the end with a sense of adventure as to know little of what to expect.

I am beginning to plan for the peaks I have left in Maine excluding Baxter SP and am searching for a GOOD map of the Longfellow region, preferably waterproof.

Any available?

Thanks,

Dom

The 9th edition Maine mountain guide had a map of the Rangeley Stratton Area that covered the bigelows, crockers, reddington, Spaulding Abraham and saddleback. I bought a tyvek version at some point. When I try to look it up on the AMC website, I don't see it listed. I don't own the 10th edition but it does state that there are maps of the bigelows but I am not sure what it covers. The guides usually only come with paper maps with the tyvek versions sold separately. The only one they have listed is Katahdin and the 100 mile wilderness which wouldn't cover Rangeley Stratton so you may be out of luck. Since the AT traverses on or near the majority of the 4 Ks I expect the AT maps set would also have coverage but its hard to beat the AMC Rangeley Stratton map as it cover enough area to plan your approaches.

There remaining outliers are Speck which does not really require a map, and the Katahdin 4Ks.

Do note, if you go for the NE 100 highest, you will be buying USGS topos and a Delorme guide

I see that some trails in the area are marked on OpenStreetMap.org: http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=13/45.1439/-70.2595&layers=C

If you have one of the newer Garmin GPS models then you can put OSM on your GPS - see http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin/Download and let me know if you need any more info on how to get it working. Alternatively you could use one of the smartphone apps that can cache OSM on your phone - I have an Android phone, so I use OsmAnd+ which also has a topo plugin.

Last edited:
This one should be all you need. Excellent map.

I'll second this recommendation. It's a great map, and it includes Tumbledown as well as bike routes, paddling areas, and lots of less popular trails that I probably wouldn't have heard of otherwise.