Carter Notch day hike

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happyfeet

Reaction score
I'm thinking of going to Carter Notch this weekend with my son and was looking for a good day hike to go on. I'm looking for something that isn't too steep.
Thanks

from the notch?

If you're looking for a dayhike starting from the notch to someplace, down the backside of the notch via the Wildcat River trail is very nice, very much wilderness-y, and may hold some wildlife viewing potential. Snowshoes but not crampons would be good there. Up either the Wildcats or toward Carter Dome is steep any way you slice it, though there is a very nice viewpoint only about 0.3 miles north toward Carter Dome (though it is straight up!) that is nice. Crampons would be a good idea if you have them. Enjoy- hope it snows.

The Wildcat River Trail was not broken out a week ago when I was at Carter. In fact, you'd have to break deep trail just to get to the Rampart. I don't know if it's changed since then. However, if you're looking just to have some fun, this may be fantastic. Use caution out on the Rampart. The views are well worth it, but wear snowshoes and use caution when stepping from boulder to boulder - you don't want to fall between them. I've done it in winter, it's do-able, just be careful.

If you take 19-Mile to the Carter Dome Trail and stay on that trail all the way to Carter Dome, bypassing Mt. Hight, and come back the same way, you can do it all with snowshoes. Mt. Hight, however, has the best views in the range and I'd recommend bringing crampons and going over it. Regardless of the route, watch out for very deep drifts in the col between Hight and the Dome ... spruce traps abound.

If you're going up from the Notch to the Dome, the first 1/4 mile is very steep and you'll need crampons. After that, however, it's nice and moderate and not difficult.

Thanks, I was looking for a day hike from the hut. Unfortunately the hut is full on Sat night so I'm not sure what we'll do. My son is only six so we are limited somewhat. We might just go for Fri and hike out on Sat.

Play it by ear. Even if you hike out on Saturday, you've got a lot of time to explore the area. You could easily go over the Dome and down and out, too. The steep part's right away at the beginning so if it's too much for him just turn around. You can easily get out 19-Mile in as little as 2-1/2 hours, so enjoy the time and the area.

Enjoy the hut - bring real food to cook, you'll appreciate it over noodles or freeze dry. And again, if you have the time Saturday, why not make yourself a nice breakfast, too. Bring some bacon or eggs or pancake mix. Just don't count on toast. I have never had success with the little wire toaster that goes over the stove burner! :)

Happyfeet: pretty much everything out of Carter Notch is steep. I would not recommend Carter Dome, and even less so Wildcat A. A hike into the Notch, and overnight, and a hike out is a big hike for most 6 year olds. He (and you) will love that even if you do nothing else. The Wildcat River trail is likely to be far less trod then the other trails. If you head there, bear that in mind as you drop down. It will be harder on the return... Have a blast!

Thanks for all the info and suggestions. As it turned out my son wasn't feeling well and we didn't go.