Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: AT in VT

AT in VT

Planning on hiking parts of AT during 'mud' season in S VT where it coinsides with LT. I imagine that with this season's snow, there will be pleanty of mud well into late spring. I remember seeing post describing that the Greenies 'closed' the LT during the mud season. Is that true? How do they do that? etc. For planning purposes, details please. And if true, how to monitor?

Green Mountain Club statement:

http://www.greenmountainclub.org/news.php?id=376

And for those that don't read the link, it's the TRAILS that are closed. Some are voluntary, some are not.
    Tom Rankin
    Web Master - NY Forest Fire Lookout Association
    Volunteer - Balsam Lake Mountain
    Past President - Catskill 3500 Club
    CEO - Views and Brews

See above link... But in response to "how do they do that", they just tell people not to go on the trails during mud season, and hope that people are nice enough to follow the rules. So please do follow them. :-)
    Guthook Hikes! Trip Reports and iPhone Apps

Thanks. Sounds like NF trails are open, but hi altitude state trails perhaps not.

Legally, what does: "The State of Vermont 'OFFICIALLY' closes high elevation trails on state lands" mean? Can a state cop, or some other agent, write a ticket?

or are they just asking. with provocative language. everyone to play ball until Fri of Mem Day w/e?
    Last edited by rup; 04-17-2015 at 08:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rup View Post
    Legally, what does: "The State of Vermont officially closes high elevation trails on state lands" mean? Can a state cop, or some other agency, write a ticket?
    The state parks are posted closed to hiking. If you are hiking there, you are trespassing (or some other violation) and a ranger (or some other officer) can write you a ticket.
    You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself, any direction you choose. -- Dr. Seuss

Glastonbury and Stratton are both high elevation peaks in s. VT on the AT/LT. They are on NF land and should be avoided.
    Thumbs up to Guthook. I also would hope that hikers knowing about the trails closures would honor that. :-)

Mud Season Hiking Guidelines

Walk through the mud, not around it! If a trail is so muddy that you need to walk on the vegetation beside it, turn back, and seek an alternative area to hike.
    Hike in the lower-elevation hardwood forest (unless it is muddy!) with southern exposure (south facing slopes dry out first in Spring).
    Avoid the spruce-fir (conifer) forests at higher elevations.
    The State of Vermont closes all trails on state land including those on Camel's Hump and Mount Mansfield from April 15 until the Friday of Memorial Day weekend. Please do not hike in these fragile areas.
    Also avoid: Stratton Mountain, Killington Peak, Lincoln Ridge (Mount Ellen to Appalachian Gap), Jay Peak.
    The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes.

Is there a list or map somewhere that might show what lands/trails are actually state lands? The announcement saying "These lands include" is a bit open ended for those who aren't as familiar with Vermont. It implies there are others not listed. I was actually thinking of a hike in VT this weekend and forgot all about the mud season closure. I'm now going to make sure whether the hike I had planned is state lands or not.
    NH 4K's: 48/48, NHW48: 14/48, 52WAV: 15/52, NEHH: 86/100, NE67 (in one year): 67/67
    http://www.mount-monadnock.com
    My Hiking Blog

The reality is that no one should be hiking on any of the higher elevation trails, whether they are on state or Fed land. The point is that hikers should respect the trails and not damage them, which tramping thru in mud season does.

No one should be asking questions about who's going to stop me or who owns the land.

Quote Originally Posted by David Metsky View Post
    The state parks are posted closed to hiking. If you are hiking there, you are trespassing (or some other violation) and a ranger (or some other officer) can write you a ticket.
    Thanks, Dave. Very helpful. That answers my Q. Very interesting issue. Just trying to frame and understand the issue and constraints for planning - not to circumvent the law or protocol. Won't be hiking there before Mem Day.

Quote Originally Posted by VTskier View Post
    No one should be asking questions about who's going to stop me or who owns the land.
    Totally agree, but, many people do.

And thanks Dave, for pointing out the consequences of not following the rules. If it takes fines and tickets to discourage people from trashing the wilderness, than I'm all for them!
    Tom Rankin
    CEO - Views and Brews

Quote Originally Posted by VTskier View Post
    The reality is that no one should be hiking on any of the higher elevation trails, whether they are on state or Fed land. The point is that hikers should respect the trails and not damage them, which tramping thru in mud season does.

___
    The reality seems top be that you have an agenda. If one can not ask the Q, how to get the clarifying background info??

Here are answers to your questions.

Closed?
    Yes.

How?
    They own the land, and post it.

How to monitor?
    If you mean how can they monitor, I'm not sue. Prolly patrol the parking lots.
    If you mean how do you monitor trail status, this board is good, as are the GMC and VT state parks sites.

It's a mess over here why not hike in NY during mud season and trash your own trails?
    Add life to your years!

FYI as of this AM, Mt Mansfield has 6 feet near the summit.

Interesting, the last time I was on Mansfield in the winter, the summit area was bare.
    Tom Rankin
    CEO - Views and Brews