AT in VT

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rup

Reaction score
Planning on hiking parts of AT during 'mud' season in S VT where it coinsides with LT. I imagine that with this season's snow, there will be pleanty of mud well into late spring. I remember seeing post describing that the Greenies 'closed' the LT during the mud season. Is that true? How do they do that? etc. For planning purposes, details please. And if true, how to monitor?

See above link... But in response to "how do they do that", they just tell people not to go on the trails during mud season, and hope that people are nice enough to follow the rules. So please do follow them. :)

Thanks. Sounds like NF trails are open, but hi altitude state trails perhaps not.

Legally, what does: "The State of Vermont 'OFFICIALLY' closes high elevation trails on state lands" mean? Can a state cop, or some other agent, write a ticket?

or are they just asking. with provocative language. everyone to play ball until Fri of Mem Day w/e?

Last edited:
Legally, what does: "The State of Vermont officially closes high elevation trails on state lands" mean? Can a state cop, or some other agency, write a ticket?
The state parks are posted closed to hiking. If you are hiking there, you are trespassing (or some other violation) and a ranger (or some other officer) can write you a ticket.

Glastonbury and Stratton are both high elevation peaks in s. VT on the AT/LT. They are on NF land and should be avoided.
Thumbs up to Guthook. I also would hope that hikers knowing about the trails closures would honor that. :)

Mud Season Hiking Guidelines

Walk through the mud, not around it! If a trail is so muddy that you need to walk on the vegetation beside it, turn back, and seek an alternative area to hike.
Hike in the lower-elevation hardwood forest (unless it is muddy!) with southern exposure (south facing slopes dry out first in Spring).
Avoid the spruce-fir (conifer) forests at higher elevations.
The State of Vermont closes all trails on state land including those on Camel's Hump and Mount Mansfield from April 15 until the Friday of Memorial Day weekend. Please do not hike in these fragile areas.
Also avoid: Stratton Mountain, Killington Peak, Lincoln Ridge (Mount Ellen to Appalachian Gap), Jay Peak.

Is there a list or map somewhere that might show what lands/trails are actually state lands? The announcement saying "These lands include" is a bit open ended for those who aren't as familiar with Vermont. It implies there are others not listed. I was actually thinking of a hike in VT this weekend and forgot all about the mud season closure. I'm now going to make sure whether the hike I had planned is state lands or not.

The reality is that no one should be hiking on any of the higher elevation trails, whether they are on state or Fed land. The point is that hikers should respect the trails and not damage them, which tramping thru in mud season does.

No one should be asking questions about who's going to stop me or who owns the land.

The state parks are posted closed to hiking. If you are hiking there, you are trespassing (or some other violation) and a ranger (or some other officer) can write you a ticket.

Thanks, Dave. Very helpful. That answers my Q. Very interesting issue. Just trying to frame and understand the issue and constraints for planning - not to circumvent the law or protocol. Won't be hiking there before Mem Day.

No one should be asking questions about who's going to stop me or who owns the land.
Totally agree, but, many people do.

And thanks Dave, for pointing out the consequences of not following the rules. If it takes fines and tickets to discourage people from trashing the wilderness, than I'm all for them!

The reality is that no one should be hiking on any of the higher elevation trails, whether they are on state or Fed land. The point is that hikers should respect the trails and not damage them, which tramping thru in mud season does.

___
The reality seems top be that you have an agenda. If one can not ask the Q, how to get the clarifying background info??

Here are answers to your questions.

Closed?
Yes.

How?
They own the land, and post it.

How to monitor?
If you mean how can they monitor, I'm not sue. Prolly patrol the parking lots.
If you mean how do you monitor trail status, this board is good, as are the GMC and VT state parks sites.

It's a mess over here why not hike in NY during mud season and trash your own trails?

A lot of folks use the snow depth at RMCs Gray Knob for the same reason. The spruce/fir band below treeline tends to hold the snow far later in the spring than above treeline. That areas also tends to have the thinnest soils that are prone to the worse erosive damage.

I certainly agree that folks shouldn't hike at elevations in spring where the conditions are generally muddy or slushy, where foot traffic could cause widening or mucking up the trail. However, I also see folks going around the edges of the trail a bit later in the season or for that matter any time over the later in the season. I just plow through the middle, myself. What are you afraid of, getting your expensive boots a bit dirty? Just go through the middle, please. Wipe your boots off when you get home and throw your socks in the wash. Don't tromp around through the delicate mossy edges around the sides. Don't be so darned concerned about keeping your pricey boots free of dirt.

Is there a list or map somewhere that might show what lands/trails are actually state lands? The announcement saying "These lands include" is a bit open ended for those who aren't as familiar with Vermont. It implies there are others not listed. I was actually thinking of a hike in VT this weekend and forgot all about the mud season closure. I'm now going to make sure whether the hike I had planned is state lands or not.

This is from the GMC site. I hope you might find it helpful when considering your VT hikes prior to Memorial Day. If you click the link, all of the alternatives will also have links.

Mud Season Hiking Alternatives

Northern VT:

Burlington Bike Path
Missisquoi Valley Rail Trail
Stowe Bike Path
Cotton Brook Area - Moscow/Stowe
Alburg Recreation Trail
Cambridge Greenway Recreation Path
Mount Philo

Central VT:

The Austin Brook Trail in Warren/Granville
Thresher Hill & Pine Brook Trails
The Cross VT Trail - runs west to east across VT.
Liberty Hill & Contest Trails
Stage Road in Jonesville to Duck Brook shelter via the LT
Lefferts Pond
Robert Frost Interpretive Trail
Travel Around Middlebury Trail (TAM)

Southern VT:

Emerald Lake State Park Trail
Harriman Trail
Delaware and Hudson Rail Trail
Woodford State Park Trails
West River Trail
Jamaica State Park Trails
Equinox Preservation Trust - Manchester Village (behind the Equinox Hotel)

With the trails in State Parks, you should check in with the VT Department of Forests, Parks, and Recreation to see if the park and trails are open, (802) 241-3655.