No thread about the USFS road study ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We've missed the public comment meetings and the deadline for forms is quickly approaching. Looking briefly, I see they want to address public access, environmental impact and that both of those can be addressed within budget. My initial thought as a pessimistic cynic is that the third is best done by restricting the first if the 2nd one requires much work. The third is also likely to be more important than the first two.

Logging equipment & your (& mine) low to the ground car don't need a road in the same condition. Are there roads that could be closed? (if you had a bigger lot at the end of Seven Drawf's Road, could that be the regular access to the North Twin Trail?) How many people go over all (past Shelbourne Moriah not back down the AT) on the Shelbourne Trail coming down on the Forest Road near Route 2? (A few of us did but I did not see where the trail had a lot of use)

Just looking at the Carter map, could Bog Road (access for the Caribou Trail) be a mile less maintained? I see that Iron Mt, Carter Notch & Dundee Roads are not maintained in winter, I don't know who maintains them. Off of Route 115 & Mill Brook, there is a small road providing access to Agnew State Forest, a small piece of land that peakbaggers are likely not using. (State Forest, maybe it's the state maintaining the road, if not, should they be?) Pond of Safety Road? (I suspect fishing and moose viewing may be supurb as there is just one trail providing a back access to the Crescent Range, suspect the locals love it as the hiking tourists seldom use it)