Official Start Of Winter Hiking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wendellator

Reaction score
I know we haven't even hit summer yet, but as an out of stater. I was wondering if there is a specific day to the start of winter hiking. I attempted the Presidential Traverse last year in Jan and we were blown out. I would like to try again this year but wanted to make sure my start date is within the official winter time.
Thanks
Wendell

I know we haven't even hit summer yet, but as an out of stater. I was wondering if there is a specific day to the start of winter hiking. I attempted the Presidential Traverse last year in Jan and we were blown out. I would like to try again this year but wanted to make sure my start date is within the official winter time.
Thanks
Wendell

Hi Wendell,

Way to plan ahead ;)

The winter solstice and spring equinox are the start and finish of the official winter season.

This year's winter begins on December 22, at 04:48 UTC. A lot of people go by the date rather than the actual onset based on time, but purists feel it is important to observe the hour as well, FWIW.

Good luck with your winter peaks,

Z :D

Last edited:
Wow! I thought some of the people I work with were long term planners. You win!
As Zac said about the start and finish times, but the time does matter if you plan on counting those peaks for AMC recognition (winter 4K list). Cannot start a hike before the 4:48 UTC time on Dec. 22, and must be off the trail buy the corresponding time of the spring equinox.

Wow! I thought some of the people I work with were long term planners. You win!
As Zac said about the start and finish times, but the time does matter if you plan on counting those peaks for AMC recognition (winter 4K list). Cannot start a hike before the 4:48 UTC time on Dec. 22, and must be off the trail buy the corresponding time of the spring equinox.

Hi Ken.

It's good to hear from you, albeit indirectly and nice job spelling my name correctly. My friends and family still struggle with it. ;)

YES! Ken is 100% correct and thank you for the clarification. Those are indeed the AMC winter rules. Still, some people aren't too concerned with the start and end times as opposed to dates. As my good friend Steve says, "You only have to satisfy yourself".

That being said, a lot of us here, myself included, are "purists" in that respect and do adhere to those rules.

Don't forget to enjoy summer and fall on your way into winter :)

Z