Snow-free trails 2015?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From reading various trip reports it appears the snowline is around 3,000' now, with variance depending on the slope face and tree cover. It doesn't appear that you can go much higher than that without hitting some snow.

CT and virtually all of MA. (Last report I saw for Greylock had insignificant snow above the Thunderbolt ski trail.) :D

There was still patches of snow on the Moats yesterday as well as the top of the Kanc driving home. So you can find it still even below 2800'.

I hiked the Stone House and White Cairn Trails on Blueberry Ledge south of Evans Notch last week and the loop was snow-free and spectacular!

The Roost, north of Evans Notch is also snow-free.

Just saw a trip report/pictures that suggests Starr King is snow-free.

NETC report says Hedgehog is snow-free

Reel Brook Trail is totally, entirely snow & ice free on 5/16 It was most definitely snowbound on 4/18.

I hiked the Red Rock Ridge using the Miles Notch and Great Brook Trails. Snow free.
We did not take the 4.4-mile round trip to Speckled so I can't say whether it is snow free for sure, but it probably is.

Osseo to Flume (Sunday May 17th) has minimal snow in sheltered spots. Nothing at all of consequence. A bit of ice but easily avoided.

Moosilauke Carriage Road today was snow-free until 4,300 feet. That left a quarter-mile to junction with Glencliff, with a few bare spots where southern exposure but mostly deep. soft snow. There were some major postholes, as in three feet or so, but the surface had enough firmness that I mostly avoided any new ones. The .2 mile spur to South Peak also had snow, but less and easily avoided mostly.

Not only is the Long Trail from Lincoln Gap to Mt. Abraham snow-free, it is dry but for areas of seepage. I trekked north past the summit for about 100 yards and saw one patch of snow by the big sign just north of where the LT emerges from the trees headed up to the summit. Stopped just after that, partly b/c it did seem the LT on the north slope of Abe still was in mud season.

Bottom line: the LT in this stretch is not closed, since on federal land, not state, and the trail from the gap north to Abe is ready for business. Lots of hikers were out - I crossed paths with maybe 30, and the parking area on Lincoln Gap Road was full. The road itself was in much better shape that I expected on the east approach.

Only small patches of snow in the conifers at ~3400 near Mt Resolution on Saturday. Sunday was HOT, so I'm willing to be that it is gone already. As far as the melt out in the Pemi, the USGS gauge makes it look like it's pretty much done when you take a 2 week graph. The rain event on 5/11 has been followed by a continual decline in volume. Even yesterday's heat didn't create much of an effect last night. Perhaps there is another way to interpret the data, but I'd be confident judging this specific drainage with a summer mentality, though there might still be some mud and patches of snow/ice higher up. :)

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?c...od=&begin_date=2015-05-04&end_date=2015-05-18

Greenleaf trail had one short segment of snow in the Eagle Pass col on 5/23/2015, and some scattered monrail in the trees above the hut.

Pine bend and Sabbaday brook trails are dry, as is the ridge connecting the Tri's.

Snapper was snow-free on Monday the 25th. Carriage Road had a tiny bit on the sides not in the actual footpath. Still a little bit high on Beaver Brook and Asquam Ridge but of no consequence, could have danced around it if you had tried.