Nutmeger Hike Sleeping Giant 13Mar05

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puck

Reaction score
Some of the VFTT members in CTwill hike Sleeping Giant State Park this Sunday 13MAr05 at 9:00. We will meet in the main parking lot off from Mt Carmel Ave. This will be a three to four mile trip. If you can't go up north for the snow this may be an alternative.

I'm in. As you know. I will be happy to do more than 4 miles, but not more than 4 hours. Any good place to eat around there? I used to like that ice cream place, Wentworths, but in the summer. I have also had mexican near there before.

-percious

I don't know if we will need snow shoes. It will snow in the next few days but the temps will get up into the 40s .

So we can meet in the far end of the parking lot. I have a green honda accord I will also have a VFTT sticker on the car.

A four hour hike sounds like just the thing.

Puck, I'm up for a hike in CT and will be there! We probably won't need shoes but I'll bring them along.

I have never been to Sleeping Giant are there any views of the Sound, or is it mostly public housing? Thinking of taking my camera.

H.

on a clear day there a views into Long Island. There are panaramic views of the surrounding traprock ridges. Although there are suburan streets and roads the canopy hides everything.

I will see you sunday.

I'm in, this sounds fun.

I don't think snow shoes will be necessary unless it really dumps later today and Saturday (which it doesn't seem like it will do).

See y'all then!

edit:

I may stand corrected! Hopefully this doesn't melt away today. :D

Last edited:
I was just out on a nature walk in Brooksvale park which is very close to sleeping giant. I used snow shoes. It was deep insome areas and there were some x country tracts laid down. I didn't want to post hole the trail either.

see everyone at 9

Cool deal. Unfortunately it was rather warm this afternoon.

i went on a hike at East Rock 4-6pm with just boots and it was fine in most sections, deeper on the dark side of the hill. I will be bringin along my snowshoes just in case (and I hope I need them!).

I will be there with a friend in a black Nissan truck w/blue camper shell and will be hanging around the far end of the parking lot at 9am!

See y'all tomorrow.

Percious
Nice pics, thanks. BTW the city you photopgraped frome the head of Sleeping Giant is New Haven not Hartford.

Have any of you Sleeping Giant hikers ever found the very large manmade cave, stone table, and remnants of a dam which can be found between the blue trail and the purple trail on the left hip? I stumbled on it bushwhacking a few years ago, have been back many times, and have never seen any evidence of anyone going there. I'd imagine it's at least 40 years old, and maybe much older than that. No one I know has ever seen it, so sometimes when I'm there I wonder if I've entered another dimension.

I will tell my son about this. Sounds like an adventure.

We have bushwacked in Sleeping giant, we saw deer that were grazing right off the trail 15-20' above people hiking up the road talking loudly.