Bridge Out On Jewell Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
I have seen several references to the bridge being out on the Jewell Trail in recent days trip reports. It is unclear if they are referring to a bridge on the spur that connects the Cog Parking area to the main Jewell Trail or if it is the bridge on the actual Jewell Trail coming up from the WMNF parking lot.

Can anyone clarify which it is? I have never done the spur connecting the Cog lot so I was not even sure if there was a bridge there. Sounds like the river is running very high in there right now so knowing which bridge is out could be important to know. Thanks.

I was referring to the Cog lot connector. Not sure about the lower chunk of the Jewell. The trail seemed to end at the stream, so we went up stream and crossed the tracks and took that bridge. Perhaps there was another option further downstream we missed.

The couple of times I've been on the Jewell, I've crossed at Base Station & walked back to the WMNF lot or the hiker lot at Base Station.

The Jewell does start across Base Road from the WMNF lot and I seem to recall that bridge being out a couple of years ago, if not longer. During normal summer flow, it's not an issue. I did see a report that made it seem like the bridge at Base Station had yellow caution tape over it.

I'd love the clarification also, although I probably won't be up in the Presidentials until Fathers' Day weekend.

I hiked the Jewell Trail last weekend, and the bridge that is out is the one at the Cog base station. The spur trail crosses the river just at the loading station for the Cog, and the former bridge is not there. We found a spot to cross just upstream, where an overflow channel leaves the main channel (after descending the steps at the Cog, follow the overflow channel upstream until the main channel, and look for good rocks). The WMNF hikers lot was closed, so there was no recent hiker traffic from that location.

Thanks for the clarification. I usually take the trail from the official trail head start down the road and there was a bridge on that section two summers ago (I walked over it with a broken ankle and was glad it was there :) ). I was planning on going up there in next week or two. Didn't realize the official lot wasn't even open yet.

Yes it can be confusing at the Cog, as it should be signed "Jewell Spur." After seeing D.T's post here and the netc report, since I maintain the Jewell Spur and Boundary Line, found the time to get there...foot bridge is out and in case FS did not know I sent an email to trail super...Ammo/Jewell trailhead parking 1.1 from Cog Base was open today...Jewell Trail bridge from that trailhead is fine and sturdy...Jefferson Notch Road was still gated...Boundary Line trail is fine to JNR but the crossing was pretty tricky...

Yes it can be confusing at the Cog, as it should be signed "Jewell Spur." After seeing D.T's post here and the netc report, since I maintain the Jewell Spur and Boundary Line, found the time to get there...foot bridge is out and in case FS did not know I sent an email to trail super...Ammo/Jewell trailhead parking 1.1 from Cog Base was open today...Jewell Trail bridge from that trailhead is fine and sturdy...Jefferson Notch Road was still gated...Boundary Line trail is fine to JNR but the crossing was pretty tricky...

This makes me feel better about not finding it! I am not sure how the cog people feel about crossing the tacks to use that upper bridge, but it isn't very far. My guess is that they may reopen the temporary spur referenced in the 29th edition.

This makes me feel better about not finding it! I am not sure how the cog people feel about crossing the tacks to use that upper bridge, but it isn't very far. My guess is that they may reopen the temporary spur referenced in the 29th edition.

This might be the plan!!