Replacing my GPS

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomD

Reaction score
I have a Garmin GPSMap76CSx. I got a great deal on it a few years ago. However, I'm considering looking for a replacement that is smaller and lighter. But with similar features. I don't need the marine features on this one, just everything else. I would like a bigger screen. I don't use mine enough to spend retail on the latest and greatest, so I'm thinking used. I like Garmin, know how to use their map software, so am leaning towards them. I'm having trouble figuring out which ones to look at that are comparable to what I have now. What about an Oregon 450 or 450T? They seem about the same vintage as mine and prices seem reasonable. I've looked at Garmin's website but not sure what the new ones have that the older ones don't. Thanks.

What about an Oregon 450 or 450T?
Some people swear by touch screen but I avoid it because I hate to take off my gloves when it's cold. Not sure if it matters to you but Orgeon lasts about 16 hours on batteries - less than what you can get from other models. I imagine this is highly correlated with the screen size, so if you want large screen then you probably cannot expect long battery life.

I'm looking at some videos on YouTube and found some sites that compare the different models. I will be using this in winter, and more than one mentions that touch screens aren't the best for winter so maybe the touch screen isn't such a good idea. Also it looks like the Oregon 600 is in my price range if I were to get a touchscreen. I know many of you hike in winter (my main reason for joining the site was to get winter tips) so I am interested in what you use. I won't be out in extreme cold, no more than around +10F or so, so maybe that's not as big an issue as it seems.

Last edited:
I have eTrex 30, mostly because it has a joystick, runs about 25 hours on a fresh set of batteries and it is not heavy. It has a small screen size, so it is probably not what you are looking for. I remember looking at some gps statistics collected from geocachers (so a large sample) some time ago and if I recall correctly 62csx really topped the list (I can't find that page now.) A bit too large for me, but apparently a lot of people like it.

I'd recommend the Garmin GPSMAP 64s if you are planning to use this mostly for winter. Even if you only plan to go in moderate (for winter) temps, touchscreens are a liability. They don't work with gloves or mitts on, are less durable, and are difficult to use when there is any moisture anywhere (on your finger or frozen to the screen). And I think they use a lot more battery. And you never know when that cold front is going to move in faster than expected and it's now 0 degrees or 5 below and the touchscreen is getting sluggish.

You can read about my experience with the 64s here.

if I recall correctly 62csx really topped the list (I can't find that page now.)
You are mixing model numbers: there is a 60CSx, a 62s, and a 62st (all discontinued). The current follow-ons are the 64s and 64st. The eTrex 20 (no sensors) and the eTrex 30 (sensors) are viable alternatives.

The above are all Garmin products--I haven't followed the other manufacturer's lines.

I also prefer (and recommend) buttons over touch screens.

Doug

I've read that the screen on the Oregon series is not only bigger, but much clearer than the 64, so it looks like it's a choice of which is more important, cold weather performance or the bigger touch screen. A trip to the store seems like the next step to do a side by side comparison if possible.

I read Brian's post too and the 64 seems to have a lot of good points, so it will be a hard choice.

Last edited:
I've read that the screen on the Oregon series is not only bigger, but much clearer than the 64, so it looks like it's a choice of which is more important, cold weather performance or the bigger touch screen. A trip to the store seems like the next step to do a side by side comparison if possible.
Garmin lists both the physical size and the number of pixels of the displays on their web site.

The displays of hiking GPSes suffer from a conflict of goals--anything that is small enough to carry is too small to show you as much as you would like to see. If you zoom in to see detail, you lose the context and if you zoom out to see the context, you cannot see the details. IMO, one is better off if one uses a paper map for the large view and the GPS for a small view. The large view also helps one to avoid navigating through impenetrable obstacles.

Don't forget that some of the screen area on the Oregon will be lost to buttons at times.

Doug

Last edited:

I read Brian's post too and the 64 seems to have a lot of good points, so it will be a hard choice.

If you really set your mind on Oregon (not that I would choose it) then I saw a post on geocaching forum today that REI has Oregon 600 on sale for $219 right now (the post said until 25th): http://www.rei.com/product/855741/garmin-oregon-600-gps

Thanks. I'm not set on one yet. A member on another site suggested the Colorado, the predecessor of the Oregon, for cold weather so I'm going to check that one out as well.

Thanks. I'm not set on one yet. A member on another site suggested the Colorado, the predecessor of the Oregon, for cold weather so I'm going to check that one out as well.
The Colorado was widely panned for its horrible user interface.

And don't forget that you are most likely to need the GPS in bad conditions...

Doug

Thanks Doug, I did see some good reviews, as well as some of the complaints. All things considered, I may just stick with what I've got for now until I figure out which of the newer ones are really that much better.

Last edited:
I've been using the Oregon 450 for about 3 years now. My fiancee gave it to me after I lost my 60csx and she's technology illiterate.(it was hers) It took some getting used to but I love it. I've used it in all conditions possible. Coldest probably being in the -20's. No battery or touch screen issues. And the touch screen is not like that of a smart phone. You can use it with gloves on. Which it does mention that in the description of the 600. Granted, it would have to be a fairly thin glove such as a liner. That goes for units with buttons as well. You can't push buttons wearing mittens. I think the 600 is basically the same as the 450 with a couple minor upgrades. One thing I particularly like about it is this: 3-axis electronic compass with accelerometer tilt compensation shows where you're heading even when you're standing still, without the need to hold the unit level.
Which is a huge + IMO. It also has a pressure based altimeter. And the screen is not cluttered with buttons. If you are in the map mode, the map is all that's on there.

I bought a 62 something or other last year because as the 600 is now, it was half off. Used it twice and returned it. I had gotten too used to the Oregon. I've had an eTrex, 60csx, and a 62-something. The Oregon 450, has been the best fit of the four for me. And I've logged hundreds of miles with it.

Again, this is just my opinion of what works for me.

If one happens to have opposable thumbs, it works fairly well. (On the 76Csx it's a pretty easy stretch with the unit in the hand.)

Hey, I have those. I got such a good deal on the 76CSx that it would be hard to part with it, but maybe a good deal on the Oregon would be tempting. I do have mitts, but gloves as well. I suppose I could try it out at REI before deciding.