What to pack for a winter day hike

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adirobdack46r

Reaction score
I think the replies to this thread will be many and varied. Everyone must have an opinion on this subject. I hike a lot in fair weather but never in winter so I'm looking for input from you veteran winter hikers out there. I want to be prepaired for most contingencies but not be carrying the kitchen sink. I'm looking for a basic pack list for going out on a winter day hike in the Adirondack high peaks. This subject has probably been discussed many times over but I'm new to VFTT therefore have missed any previous threads regarding this matter.

1. parka for rest stops
2. water bottle parka or store water bottle upside down so that the water around the lid doesn't freeze
3. spare gloves

I take along my heavy pack. I line it with a garbage bag. At the bottom, I have junk -- emergency stuff that I hope I won't need like a bivy sack, extra fleece, 2 pairs of extra socks, an extra head lamp etc. Then I have my parka on top of that. Then I have a bag filled with food. On top of that, the final layer, is bag with an extra set of gloves, mittens, hat, balaclava, face mask, goggles, hand warmers, glove liners, extra socks, and head lamp. Finally, on the top part is a separate compartment that has loose stuff like compass, (another) head lamp, batteries, toilet paper, formaldehyde, matches, some treats and so on. I also put the gatorade bottles upside down in their bottle parkas and attach those to the outside of my pack.

It's good to have everything very accessible.

-Dr. Wu

This is what I have on my winter day hike list that I don't have on my summer day hike list:

down jacket
crampons
snowshoes
emergency bivy bag
foam pad (a safety item, but also a good seat for lunch)
handwarmers
insulated bottle holder
thermos--filled with hot drink
food that is less likely to freeze (cheese, sausage)
hat,neck gaiter, balaclava,gloves, overmitts
at least 3 layers of clothes (including hard shell) on me or in my pack
extra socks, gloves, shirt
goggles (optional)
down sleeping bag (optional)
water--2 liters rather than 3 or 4

I tailor how much "safety" gear I bring according to the remoteness and length of the hike, the possible conditions, and who I'm with.

Last edited:
dr_wu002 said:
I take along my heavy pack. I line it with a garbage bag. At the bottom, I have junk -- emergency stuff that I hope I won't need like a bivy sack, extra fleece, 2 pairs of extra socks, an extra head lamp etc. Then I have my parka on top of that. Then I have a bag filled with food. On top of that, the final layer, is bag with an extra set of gloves, mittens, hat, balaclava, face mask, goggles, hand warmers, glove liners, extra socks, and head lamp. Finally, on the top part is a separate compartment that has loose stuff like compass, (another) head lamp, batteries, toilet paper, formaldehyde, matches, some treats and so on. I also put the gatorade bottles upside down in their bottle parkas and attach those to the outside of my pack.

It's good to have everything very accessible.

-Dr. Wu

Do you get funny looks at the grocery store?

Bothy Bag

I've always carried an emergency bivy sack. I just received some info from an old time winter climber on a "Bothy Bag". Has anyone used one? It's a lightweight emergency shelter. Single wall, waterproof and varies in size. The two person size is about 1 lb and the eight person is 2.5 lb. There's no floor so you can leave foot gear on including crampons/snowshoes. Also, a stove would work because you can vent it. I've still got to do a web search to get the full scoop.
My experience is that many winter hikers go light and fast. Have they thought about the mental and physical part of spending a night out?

Re: Bothy Bag

Tim Kase said:
I've always carried an emergency bivy sack. I just received some info from an old time winter climber on a "Bothy Bag". Has anyone used one? It's a lightweight emergency shelter. Single wall, waterproof and varies in size. The two person size is about 1 lb and the eight person is 2.5 lb. There's no floor so you can leave foot gear on including crampons/snowshoes. Also, a stove would work because you can vent it. I've still got to do a web search to get the full scoop.

An older form of bivy sack.

Pretty difficult to use a stove--a bothy bag is just a bag--nothing to hold the fabric away from the stove. And it may not ventilate very well. (I suspect that most users would forego cooking or cook outside.) Trade-off: water-proof (reduces ventilation, increases moisture accumulation) vs non-water-proof (breathes better, less moisture accumulation, wet if it rains).

There are lighter weight emergency bivy sacks available, eg:
http://www.rei.com/online/store/Pro...74&parent_category_rn=4500522&vcat=REI_SEARCH
or
http://www.rei.com/online/store/Pro...44&parent_category_rn=4500522&vcat=REI_SEARCH
And of course, there are full bivy sacks available if one intends to bivy rather than carry a tent, eg:
http://www.rei.com/online/store/Sea...d=-1&storeId=8000&textQuery=bivy+sack&x=0&y=0

Tim Kase said:
My experience is that many winter hikers go light and fast. Have they thought about the mental and physical part of spending a night out?

Varies. Some assume they will never have to stop and carry very little/no emergency gear. (This approach is trendy and gets more press these days.) Some carry a whole bunch of emergency gear. But the weight slows one down. Trade-off.

"If you carry bivouac gear, you will have to bivouac." :)

Doug

Last edited:
adirobdack46r

What to bring depends on where you're going, weather, who you're with, and everyone's experience level. The growing consensus is that 4 is the minimum back-country group size.

Let's assume that you want to climb the ADK 46 in winter, with 3 friends of equal ability. After you've bagged half a dozen, you'll be able to tell me what to bring, but here's what I'd bring...

The essentials, on your person: map, compass, first-aid kit, knife, matches, and fire starter.

Clothing, three or four layers.
Head: Wool knit hat, fleece balaclava, wind-stopper face mask, goggles, sunglasses.

Hands: poly glove liner, fleece mitts, fleece gloves, windproof over gloves.

Body: poly long underwear, light wool sweater, fleece pullover, fleece jacket, wind/waterproof parka w/ attached hood.

Legs: poly long underwear, nylon hiking pants, wool pants, wind pants.

Feet: poly liner socks, smartwool socks (1pr spare), winter weight hiking boots, gaiters. In the Dak's, as a courtesy to skiers, snowshoes on any ski able trail :) , trekking poles, crampons for above tree line.

Other personal stuff:
Easy access, outside, pack pockets: Trail food, 1L water in insulated Nalgene, whistle, LED headlamp, bandana, foam sitting-pad, camera.

Inside pack: 1L water wrapped in spare socks, 3000 cal of emergency food (cocoa, oatmeal, power bars, snickers), spare batteries (lithium), biner, chemical hand warmers, pen & paper, duct tape, TP, sun screen, lip balm, spoon, cup, plastic trash bag, emergency blanket, lighter, spare flashlight.

Stuff the group can share:
mirror, 50' paracord, 100' 9mm static line, altimeter, repair kit, leatherman, tent, snow stakes, ground cloth, 2 sleeping bags and pads, stove, 1pt fuel, wind screen, stove board, pot w/ lid and handle, candle lantern, snow shovel, group first-aid kit, GPS, radio, trail guide.

And the most important piece of equipment - your brain - your own good sense and experience. It's not just what you have in your pack, it's knowing how to use it with your gloves on, in the cold, wind, and dark; it’s knowing your abilities and staying within them.

I'm always asking myself "what if?" - what if it rains, what if it snows, what if we get lost, what if someone gets sick, what if it takes longer...

Choose your gear then try it out in the backyard on a cold night, then maybe intentionally spend a night out on the trail, practicing emergency procedures before you need them.

~Martin

I base it on a number of things. Day of the week is one of them. Weather is another. Remoteness as others have mentioned. Time of the year is another.

For example, If I'm climbing the Seward range in the adirondacks, solo, on a cloudy wednesday in January, I'd pack a lot more with me than if I would be climbing Cascade/Porter on a sunny Sunday in March.

Less likely for as-cold weather, longer days, more probability of someone else on the trail, etc. And yes, a sunny day can suddenly change to a snowy one, and a March day can get quite cold.

As DougPaul said, trade-offs. And let me add "probabilities", not possibilities.

If I want to be 100% safe, I wouldn't do 90% of the things I do.

Oh yeah... Another parameter is how tough you are about turn around time.

Last edited:
Bivvy bag.

I've never seen a bivvy bag in use (just lucky I guess) but I wonder about the insulating power (R-factor) of something weighing 6 oz. I'm sure it's a heck of a lot better than nothing but does it only give a false sense of security?
Has anybody used one in an emergency situation?

How would a bivvy bag compare to a 30 degF down sleeping bag with a very thin sleeping pad? I know the bag would be useless if it precipitates but humour me. :)

Neil said:
I've never seen a bivvy bag in use (just lucky I guess) but I wonder about the insulating power (R-factor) of something weighing 6 oz. I'm sure it's a heck of a lot better than nothing but does it only give a false sense of security?

Never used one either as I'm the novice hear looking for info, but what I'd planned on was bringing my sleeping bag, sleeping pad, and two of the emergency tin foil looking bivy sacks ($8each at Dick's) one for inside as a vapor barrier and one on the outside for wind and water protection. It won't be the Hilton but I've read it should get me through a night.

bivy bags are tricky. I believe it was Reinhold Messner who said, if you have one, you are likely to go seek trouble so that you can use it.

Neil said:

How would a bivvy bag compare to a 30 degF down sleeping bag with a very thin sleeping pad? I know the bag would be useless if it precipitates but humour me. :)

I've used one in winter (planned--sorry, not an emergency). They basically add only a very small amount of insulation--mostly just wind blocking. Think of it as a small tent (you breathe outside if at all possible). There was some moisture accumulation inside in spite of the Goretex top.

Doug

What to pack for a winter day hike? When it comes down to it you really only need too things: Hot Chocolate & Herbs!!!