Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mt Davis On Montalban Ridge

Probably of little interest, but just as an "FYI", in August 2008 (7 years ago) I did an unconventional bushwhack to Mt. Davis (link below).
    http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthrea...21-Aug-2008%29

Quote Originally Posted by 1HappyHiker View Post
    Probably of little interest, but just as an "FYI", in August 2008 (7 years ago) I did an unconventional bushwhack to Mt. Davis (link below).
    http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthrea...21-Aug-2008%29
    That is indeed quite interesting. I too am a day-hiker from CT so 18-21 hour days spent hiking and driving are the norm for me. I attempted Davis once the conventional way and gave up about a mile from the spur because of the lengthy hike to get back out to car. This sounds like a very fun option. Curious on a few things:

1) Is that suspension bridge still closed since the reopening of the trail post Irene repairs? AMC Guide mentions the suspension bridge but makes no mention of it being closed or removed. For those who have been on Dry River Trail since the reopening is the bridge still there?
    2) 1HappyHiker- was there a reason you went due East to get to Davis Path versus a more Northeasterly direction which would take some of the edge off the upslope and be a more direct route to the spur trail? Not sure if it just worked out that way with weaving in and out of the terrain or if that was deliberate.
    3) It is described as an "easy whack". How rocky was it? Hobble bush isn't bad as long as footing underneath is reasonable. Can you elaborate on the forest floor in this area? I'm thinking it can't be much worse than the footing on the actual Davis Path in this area. (Wasn't a big fan of the section after Stairs Mountain to where I gave up last time).

This really has my interest! Any additional details you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 48/48; ME 4k: 2/14; VT 4k: 1/5; ADK 46: 6/46; Cat 3.5k 10/35

The suspension bridge over the Dry River was there and in good shape three weeks ago.
    Ian

1) Suspension bridge has been repaired and is "open for business"!

2) True, a more northeasterly route could have taken some of the edge off the upslope. However, I was looking for shortest bushwhack to reach Davis Path. Didn't find upslope overly daunting, but would've tracked more northeasterly if upslope had been an issue for me.

3) Regarding the forest floor, I don't recall it being overly rocky. Although my recollection is now 7 years old, I recall the footing as being generally good for the vast majority of the route that I followed. Of course, as you likely know with bushwhacking, there is the "50-foot rule", i.e. conditions can vary widely just 50-ft or so on either side of you!

4) You asked for any additional details that I can recall. As I remember it, the more difficult segments of the bushwhack were the first tenth (or so) mile after leaving Dry River Trail, and the last tenth (or so) of a mile before reaching the Davis Path. In both instances, the terrain was steeper and woods were thicker than the overall route.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask any follow-up questions.
    Last edited by 1HappyHiker; 08-28-2015 at 10:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1HappyHiker View Post
    1) Suspension bridge has been repaired and is "open for business"!

2) True, a more northeasterly route could have taken some of the edge off the upslope. However, I was looking for shortest bushwhack to reach Davis Path. Didn't find upslope overly daunting, but would've tracked more northeasterly if upslope had been an issue for me.

3) Regarding the forest floor, I don't recall it being overly rocky. Although my recollection is now 7 years old, I recall the footing as being generally good for the vast majority of the route that I followed. Of course, as you likely know with bushwhacking, there is the "50-foot rule", i.e. conditions can vary widely just 50-ft or so on either side of you!

4) You asked for any additional details that I can recall. As I remember it, the more difficult segments of the bushwhack were the first tenth (or so) mile after leaving Dry River Trail, and the last tenth (or so) of a mile before reaching the Davis Path. In both instances, the terrain was steeper and woods were thicker than the overall route.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask any follow-up questions.
    That's good info. Thanks. It looked like you picked the perfect spot to leave Dry River Trail. I noticed a few "wrinkles" in the topography early after leaving DRT and a small ridge they may have made the due East route a little more favorable. Maybe it was rocky and that was the difficulty you recall. I'm hoping to do DRT this weekend as part of another loop so I am definitely going to stop and eyeball this area and take some notes. Thanks for the idea and the info! If I think of any follow up questions I'll let you know.
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 48/48; ME 4k: 2/14; VT 4k: 1/5; ADK 46: 6/46; Cat 3.5k 10/35