The Bonds

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richard

Reaction score
:rolleyes:In order for me to finish my 48 4k list, I have to hike the 3 Bonds Mts. Would it be easier to do a point to point hike, or an out & back from Lincoln Woods.:confused: Thanks for any suggestions.

:rolleyes:In order for me to finish my 48 4k list, I have to hike the 3 Bonds Mts. Would it be easier to do a point to point hike, or an out & back from Lincoln Woods.:confused: Thanks for any suggestions.

IMO The traverse is more interesting than an out and back from Lincoln Woods where you are forced into about 10 miles of rail grade flat walking. The out and back is easier I suppose (definitely in winter), but not markedly so. Lincoln Woods Trail can drag on a bit, especially on the way out. Either way, pick a good day and enjoy a stellar ridge.

Last edited:
If you can do the car spot, the north-south traverse is actually pretty easy, just long. A lot of the elevation is gained climbing up to Zeacliff. After that, it's just a really long walk. I was initially intimidated by the distance, but I found it much easier than I anticipated. Many folks do it in a day, but the Bonds are so beautiful and remote that I think an overnight at Guyot is the way to go. You cannot beat sunset on West Bond and sunrise on Bond. It's amazing. :)

The downside to this traverse is that Lincoln Woods Trail is at the end of a very long trek, and is a mind-numbing, flat bore for almost five miles.

A point to point with a car spot (with friends or people here) or a key swap is the way to go, IMO. A few of us, including one of the moderators here, (is that TR still up Dave?) did it early in the 2000's. I still have all the numbers. From Lincoln Woods and back it is one of the longer ways at 22.6 miles. It does gain the least elevation at 4600 feet. The shortest way is from Zealand, 20 miles and it climbs just over 5000 feet.

If you do a car spot & go in at Zealand & out Lincoln woods, the distance is just under 20 miles (19.7 with Zealand), and from the Zealand trailhead, you gain 3,850 ft. In the reverse direction, it's 4750, 4760 with Zealand thrown in. (Thinking the 10 feet on the Zealand Spur is a bit generous)

Another option at 20.2 miles is the Twins & Bonds and that elevation is 4,590 feet going out to Lincoln Woods.

I have done the through hike with car spot from both ends, I highly recommend dropping a car off at Lincoln Woods and Starting at Zealand. The amount of overall effort is considerably less heading south. Much as the last stretch on the old railbed feels longer than it is, its a nice stretch to go on "autopilot" Going south to north, there are plenty of rocks and roots to stumble on right up to the last 1/4 mile. Unless you need to hike it solo for some personal goal, its highly recommended to go with a group as if you get in trouble, no guarantees of cell coverage.

If you do go North to South, carry plenty of water bottles but minimal water at the beginning. No need to carry it as you will walk right past Zealand Hut and can fill the empty bottles quickly. From there on there is no reliable water in mid to late summer except Guyot spring. The walk down to Guyot is a drop in elevation that you need to regain, plus you need to treat the water. Most would prefer to skip it at mid day. The next reliable water is a brook crossing south of Bondcliff.

I still have that jacket and wore it on another why am I doing this hike on Tuesday on the Tripyramids. For the solo list, just Zealand & Moriah left. Waiting for Michelle who would later do the AT to be the voice of reason and shopping probably wasn't a good plan....

By all means Richard, pick a day with great weather. Most of that crew had seen the Bonds on stellar days (and have seen since) & the views are among the best in the entire northeast.

First post here! Finally a member. In my opinion, the Bonds are the best hike in New England. I think its best appreciated as an overnight. When I did it, we spent day 1 getting up to Guyot tent site from Zealand. We had camp set up by 230 and just chilled and relaxed for the rest of the day. We hit West Bond at about 8am the next day, then scooted over to Bond and Bondcliff, before doubling back to the car. It makes for a 13 mile 2nd day but that is certainly better than slogging it out for 20 miles and fighting time as a single day hike, and not really being able to enjoy it.

Welcome Drew, best hike in New England could be another thread topic, I think it has been but not recently. Most of us would likely have it in the top ten, maybe top five. I'd have to put my #1 though on a Katahdin trip over both Baxter & Hamlin peaks.

If you can’t do a car spot I think an in and out from Zealand would be my choice. I did it as an overnight staying at Guyot. Details at: http://1slowhiker.blogspot.com/2012_11_12_archive.html Dropped off gear and claimed a lean-to spot at Guyot on the way in then tagged Bond and Bond Cliff. Then the next morning I tagged W. Bond on my way out. I also did it as a 1 day (bareley) in and out from Lincoln Woods for my Winter Peaks only because Zealand Road is closed in the winter. Details at: http://1slowhiker.blogspot.com/2014_03_18_archive.html I think I’d rate these hikes as my #2 & #3 favorites after Katahdin

I've done the out and back of the Bonds a few times :). It's one of my favorite hikes, especially this time of year with the long days and warmer weather. Love getting to experience the hike between Bond and Bondcliff twice in one day!

Enjoy your 48 finish, congrats!

-Chris

Thanks Guys . From these opinions, I`ve decided to do the traverse from Zealand Rd. I appreciate the help.:)

Last edited:
Thanks Guys . From these opinions, I`ve decided to do the traverse from Zealand Rd. I appreciate the help.:)

You have chosen wisely. Bondcliff is a great finish, and you'll have a couple hours to contemplate the achievement on the walk out!

You have chosen wisely. Bondcliff is a great finish, and you'll have a couple hours to contemplate the achievement on the walk out!

I agree. I posted a car at Lincoln Woods and did Hale, Zealand, and the three Bonds in one day. Doing all 5 Peaks wasn't nearly as tough as I thought it was going to be, the trail terrain was not very rough at all, but it still was a very long day. The views from the Bonds are some of my favorites of the 48.