Glen Ellis Falls question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Technetium

Reaction score
Thanks for the previous answers to my question about Thompson Falls (the one near Moat Mountain). I'm probably going there this upcoming weekend.

I also want to revisit Glen Ellis Falls. I went here last Spring but found it nearly impossible to photograph from the base due to the spray. What I want to know is if it is possible anywhere nearby to cross the Ellis River so as to shoot from the other side. I noticed that the clouds of spray were pretty much hugging the side of the gorge where the trail ends. If I could get to the other side I'd be able to get a clear shot without the spray.

I believe it probably can't be done by crossing upstream (such as the trail to Wildcat Mountain), because you will run into a ledge you can't get down (the same ledge the falls goes over). Is there anywhere downstream where I'd be able to cross and then make my way back up the opposite bank?

You can cross upstream (the Wildcat Ridge Trail crosses right at the highway underpass). I'd bet if you poked around the woods you would find a herd path, if there is any possibility of going in that way.

If not, your choice is downstream. There are lots of trails leading downstream, and maybe one leads to a nicely-hoppable section.

I don't know which is more practical, but I'm sure it can be done, because the last time I was there a couple was diving into the pool and swimming from the far bank. I'm pretty sure they didn't parachute in, and it looked like something they did frequently. But they arrived clothed, so I know they didn't just jump in on the near side and swim across.