Dog on Caps Ridge

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sierra, Like your dog mine also needs to use his pads and nails for scrambling. Twice we have had problems with his pads, only in the whites. I bring booties just in case and they have helped Wilson when we bail out because of his pads. Ruff Wear is the brand we use. One time was on the Baldface loop and surprisingly to me an easy hike from Lincoln woods to 13 falls campsite. Apparently, the old railroad bed stone can be a problem.

I took my 80lb lab up there two years ago. I remember two spots where he needed a little help. On one spot I tied his leash to his pack and hauled him up the incline. Another spot he needed coaxing to go under a rock and jump over a gap. It's the hardest trail I've brought a dog on but I'd still say it wasn't a big deal.

vhTHgAH.jpg

My klutzy rottweiler climbed the caps trail, needing a push on a couple scrambles. Up top, she slowed down, wasn't as bouncy when rock hopping, so I think the rough rocks were bothering her, but she didn't get any scrapes. I chose that trail for her first presidential for the purpose of testing her feet, with it being a much shorter hike back if she hurt herself.
The one time she did have trouble with her feet was on washington. We went up amonoosuc ravine, hit monroe, and ascended crawford path to the summit. No problems yet. It was the short descent to meet back up with crawford path on our way to jewel that scraped her pads. It wasn't bothering her, but I wrapped her up in vet wrap and we continued down without incident.
Interestingly, the only time she needed assistance on this hike was going over the trail road track near the summit. Just couldn't figure out how to get over it! As I said, she's no gymnast.
Amy