Rocky Branch trail work?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maineman

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone here knows the status of the closed section of the Rocky Branch Trail (between Stairs Col and the #2 Shelter) - I thought I had read somewhere that there were plans to repair it this summer but haven't found anything more.

"Rocky Branch Trail sustained an impressive amount of damage during Tropical Storm Irene. The trail is now open to foot traffic only from the end of Rocky Branch Road (Jericho Road) to Rocky Branch Shelter #1. Significant portions of the trail are missing or damaged between Shelter #1 and #2 and therefore continues to be closed to all access."

http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/white...a/?recid=77832

"Rocky Branch Trail sustained an impressive amount of damage during Tropical Storm Irene. The trail is now open to foot traffic only from the end of Rocky Branch Road (Jericho Road) to Rocky Branch Shelter #1. Significant portions of the trail are missing or damaged between Shelter #1 and #2 and therefore continues to be closed to all access."

http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/white...a/?recid=77832

This has been the official notice for quite a while now - I spoke to someone at the WMNF Saco Ranger Station this week and the unofficial word is that they are working on it, and it should be reopened by the end of the summer.

I think we'll see the same thing as we did with Dry River Trail last year. Believe me, I'm itching to get that section too!

Doesn't seem like this has been officially posted in another thread but the Rocky Branch trail was officially re-opened last week. No announcement from the Forest Service but was told by some at the Saco Ranger District that the Forest order / closure was listed. I hiked the beginning section from Jericho Rd last week and it looked like there was a minor relo there. Look forward to reports on the whole trail condition.

Doesn't seem like this has been officially posted in another thread but the Rocky Branch trail was officially re-opened last week. No announcement from the Forest Service but was told by some at the Saco Ranger District that the Forest order / closure was listed. I hiked the beginning section from Jericho Rd last week and it looked like there was a minor relo there. Look forward to reports on the whole trail condition.

The section up to Rocky Branch Shelter #1 reopened last fall I think (I asked in a previous thread). Was last week's announcement for the entire trail now? And didn't someone mention in the Cedar Branch relo thread that they were finishing Cedar Brook and then heading to Rocky Branch or vice versa?

The entire Rocky Branch trail is open. No official announcement made yet but it is all open (trail signs back up). Cedar Brook (Pemi) and Rocky Branch (Saco) are different ranger districts / different crews.

The entire Rocky Branch trail is open. No official announcement made yet but it is all open (trail signs back up). Cedar Brook (Pemi) and Rocky Branch (Saco) are different ranger districts / different crews.

Thanks. I just did Stairs Col Trail a few weeks ago and was surprised the section beyond was not blocked. Must have literally been the week it reopened. Curious to check it out as a possible route to Isolation (for next year).