Terrace Mtn Shelter in the Catskills

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacknblue

Reaction score
Sounds like there is no water at the shelter. Where would the closest water source be, coming down from Wittenberg? I've been past there, but was headed to Woodland Valley, so not thinking about scouting out water sources. Also, are there several tent sites along the spur trail to the shelter?

A bit late on this, but posting in case you haven't gone yet and/or for future reference.

I stayed there a few years ago. I remember I had to hike back to the junction with the trail to Woodland Valley, and then follow that trail for a few tenths of a mile before I found a trickle of water amongst a mostly dry stream bed. My guess is that your luck is going to vary with the amount of rainfall that the region has experienced in the days prior to your trip.

I don't recall seeing any designated tent sites. As per DEC regulations, you'd need to be set up at least 150 feet off the trail and away from water (the water part obviously isn't a problem). I do remember there being a lot of flat ground in the vicinity.

Water in the summer can be challenging to find at this shelter (I used to be the caretaker). There is a tiny spring. I would pick up water on the way down, there are some season or ephemeral springs- tiny ones. I've gotten lucky at that stand of large hemlocks and a off-trail and down hill search and have found small springs. Great bird-watching spot.