Best Firewood In Twin Mountain,NH Area

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
I'm going to be car camping in the Twin Mountain, NH area next weekend and I'm looking for a place to get quality firewood for a few nights. It has been ages since I've camped up there and I don't even remember where we got our firewood. I have a phenomenal place near my house in CT that sells massive piles of hardwood logs for $10 each but I am aware of the laws about bringing in out of state wood to NH so I'm trying to do the right thing and buy local. Anyone know a good spot on the way in NH or nearby (I'll be coming up Rte 93/Rte 3)? I know most grocery and variety stores sell little bundles but they are nothing more than glorified kindling and last maybe 30-60 minutes depending on the kind of fire one prefers.

Appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

Daytrip,
I cannot think of any place in TM to buy wood, ( not that there isnt one) but I do know a place on the way. If you get off on Exit23, go right at the bottem of the ramp and drive about 2 miles. There is a guy that has been selling campfire wood for many years, I bought some once when family members of mine were camping up the road. It would only be a slight detour and the wood is nice, there are also two convienence stores right there so you could make it a BR and Wood break. If this doesnt work, Go to Fosters General store in Twin Mtn, they know everybody and could help finding wood.

Daytrip,

If this year is the same as last year... I spent considerable time driving around Lincoln trying to find firewood while I was camping at Hancock with my kids. The ONLY decent wood I found was called 'Dave's good wood' and was sold honor system in Lincoln. When you get off 93, as you head into town, it's on the left, outside one of the auto shops (if I remember correctly). It's closer to 93 than to Hancock, so the west side of town. Everything else is spruce that was cut and split yesterday. Smokes for half an hour while you use up ALL of the newspaper and matches you brought, then finally dries out and burns for 90 seconds. OTOH, Dave's good wood is seasoned hardwood.

No help for Twin Mtn, but seen yesterday on 118 in Wentworth:
Firewood $3
Locally grown!
Gluten free!

are you getting to twin mtn via littleton and bethlehem and when exactly do you think you'll need the wood ?
wood would be split seasoned sugar hill maple and payment would be in the form of an amount of beer, most likely.
PM me here.

Last edited:
are you getting to twin mtn via littleton and bethlehem and when exactly do you think you'll need the wood ?
wood would be split seasoned sugar hill maple and payment would be in the form of an amount of beer, most likely.
PM me here.

Interesting but, no, we'll be getting onto Rte 3 after Cannon and we're heading up there FRI AM. I think I actually know the place Randy mentioned above. Sometimes I go to North Conway that way through Meredith if I'm not in a rush. Thanks all for the suggestions.

Ossipee Mountain firewood is the local premium brand of packaged firewood that many stores carry. It is priced for what the market will bear which is steep but generally the quality is good. The quality and availability of firewood is an ongoing issue with the firewood bans in that the user has a substantial economic disincentive to do the right thing. Frequently the quality of unbranded firewood carried by some local stores is extremely poor, basically cut up slabbed green softwood from a sawmill, luckily Carrier seems to have cornered the market on most mill waste for the Berlin boiler for a 100 miles radius so the amount of slab wood has decreased a bit. It apparently is legal to bring processed kiln dried wood across state lines and I keep a small inventory for my rare trips out of state. I wouldn't advocate burning the family's furniture or any other finished wood but as a woodworker I always have board ends and I find home stores occasionally sell bundles of ends.

I was looking at a lake lot awhile back that straddled the state line, the road to it crossed the line a couple of times. The large landowner in the area prohibits lease holders or any one else from cutting any wood, even left over wood at landings so I would need to haul firewood in. I was always curious what how the legality of my firewood would be determined.

Fosters Crossroads seems to have a supply of firewood...maybe you could find their phone number and call for info..seemed good sized so bring an ax to split for kindling!!

Last edited: