Forest City Trail - Camels Hump (VT)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KPMMBM

Reaction score
I was reading an online report and found this as part of the description for Forect City Trail-

There is one very scary part on the FC trail, very near the summit where you have to get passed a rock outcropping with only a two foot clearance from a sheer cliff.

Anyone have a picture of this or a comparable from the Whites? I'm a bit of a scardy cat with heights so before I try this I'd like to get an idea of how bad it is. I've done the Burrows trail before and will stick to that if need be

Been up the FC trail numerous times and for the life of me can't think of a place like that described. And I hate exposed places like that, so I'd likely remember it.

The Forest City Trail does not go over the summit of camels hump. It meets the Long Trail approx. 2 miles south of the summit. Climbing from there the trail does get very steep and exposed as you approach the summit. I can see how it could make some people nervous. Similar to the exposure on the LT just north of Mount Mansfields summit. Not nearly as bad as the great gulf trail on Mount Washington.

252152_1920736266739_2696989_n[1].jpg

If you want to try a different approach and avoid this steep pitch you could go up the Monroe trail from the Duxbury side.

Hey, I figured that they just considered the LT as part of the FC that they took to the summit. But even the LT is more slab walking on the summit cone, not really a "2ft wide path with a sheer cliff", unless they went straight up the face of CH.

I have to agree with MikeM. Only even slightly daunting part is coming off the summit heading south. Go up FC to LT and then down Burrows. Going up that part will be easier than going down. I don't like exposure at all either and was still able to descend that part with no trouble.

There is a point on the Long trail south of Mt Mansfield's forehead that fits the description for me, but nothing comes to mind on any of the Camels Hump trails. There is a small section on the Long trail just south of the summit of Camel's hump that you have to step carefully to avoid a 3 or 4 foot fall into some cripple brush, which would not be fun, but I would not call it a sheer cliff. Plus you can step down & walk around it of you want (I have not figured out how to do that on the above mentioned section on Mansfield). I do not recall my trail names on Camel's Hump, I could never keep Forestry and Forest City straight.