point to point or out & back

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richard

Reaction score
I was planning on hiking the bonds on sunday. But because of the prediction of heavy rain in the forecast, I changed plans to do it on Fri. July 3rd. i am concerned about possible high water crossings. I did plan on a point to point from Zealand to Lincoln woods,but I was wondering if we would better off doing an out & back from Zealand Rd. Thanks for any advice.

I was planning on hiking the bonds on sunday. But because of the prediction of heavy rain in the forecast, I changed plans to do it on Fri. July 3rd. i am concerned about possible high water crossings. I did plan on a point to point from Zealand to Lincoln woods,but I was wondering if we would better off doing an out & back from Zealand Rd. Thanks for any advice.

You'll be fine with either route - no significant water crossing concerns if you allow at least a full day after any rain. Out/back from Zealand avoids a big car spot and the drudgery of the Lincoln Woods trail, but has more elevation gain thanks to the re-climb of Bond and the 'pud' factor on Guyot.

Alex

Last edited:
A traverse is .3 miles shorter than out-and-back (from Zealand) and 3.5 miles shorter than out-and-back from Lincoln Woods. Zealand adds .2 miles round trip to any route.

http://home.earthlink.net/~ellozy/bondrts.html:

RouteDistanceElevationBook Time
Round trip from Lincoln Woods 23.04,500 13:45
Round trip from Zealand Road 19.84,85012:20
Traverse, Zealand Road to Lincoln Woods 19.5 3,70011:35
Traverse, Lincoln Woods to Zealand Road 19.54,55012:00

There are a couple of crossings of Black Brook south of Bond Cliff that could be subject to high short term flows in heavy rain events. Based on the ever changing timing for when it will start raining and the type of rain, the timing of a N to S traverse creates a small potential for those crossings to be tough as a longer than expected day could run into heavy rain and the potential for high water. Everyone had a different tolerance for stream crossings but I could envision that at least one crossing could require wading versus rock to rock.

An out and back from Zealand is somewhat safer as there are no significant crossings and the possibility of refuge in the hut if the weather comes in early. Keep in mind that the unless the trail from Zeacliff to Zealand hut has been recently rebuilt, it is eroded ditch paved with rocks that turns into stream for much of its length in heavy rain. This is not unsafe but sure slows down the speed as hiking downslope on wet and occasionally submerged rocks is difficult.

I am conservative on hike plans so I would find another shorter hike to do unless the forecast changes substantially. You could pull it off but given the forecasted low temps make sure you have plenty of warm gear for hiking in cold rain as that's prime conditions for hypothermia. Having had early stage hypothermia in July in the whites in similar conditions many years ago, I tend to avoid these conditions but HYOH.

I remember taking the AT (with full pack) and doing the Bonds as a "spur hike". The section of trail around Zealand ( maybe from Guyot to Zealand) was a misery. Just a narrow way between the krumholtz and packed with boulders. Footing was bad and it was exhausting. I would go from the south thru Lincoln Woods(?) and slam up to the Bonds from the south. There may even be water in that brook- otherwise, it was pretty dry up on the ridge. The Bonds were awesome. I would do them again.

I remember taking the AT (with full pack) and doing the Bonds as a "spur hike". The section of trail around Zealand ( maybe from Guyot to Zealand) was a misery. Just a narrow way between the krumholtz and packed with boulders. Footing was bad and it was exhausting.

I never cease to marvel at human diversity - what is misery for one person can so often be pure pleasure for another. I enjoy the rocky stretches of the Twinway on either side of Guyot, and find that for the most part the rocks enable me to move more quickly than otherwise.

Misery for me: trudging out of a Bonds hike on the last 6 or so flat, monotonous miles of the Bondcliff and Lincoln Woods Trails.

...because of the prediction of heavy rain in the forecast, I changed plans to do it on Fri. July 3rd. i am concerned about possible high water crossings. I did plan on a point to point from Zealand to Lincoln woods, but I was wondering if we would better off doing an out & back from Zealand Rd. Thanks for any advice.

Coincidentally, Richard, I'll be leading a scheduled AMC trip to the Bonds (Zealand in/out) on the 3rd -- whichever route you ultimately choose, perhaps we'll see you!

Alex

bonds

I never cease to marvel at human diversity - what is misery for one person can so often be pure pleasure for another. I enjoy the rocky stretches of the Twinway on either side of Guyot, and find that for the most part the rocks enable me to move more quickly than otherwise.

Misery for me: trudging out of a Bonds hike on the last 6 or so flat, monotonous miles of the Bondcliff and Lincoln Woods Trails.

Coincidentally, Richard, I'll be leading a scheduled AMC trip to the Bonds (Zealand in/out) on the 3rd -- whichever route you ultimately choose, perhaps we'll see you!

Alex

3 of us hope to be at the Zealand trailhead by 8 am. We all work 2nd shift, so that would be the earliest we can hope to be there. I`ll look for you.

3 of us hope to be at the Zealand trailhead by 8 am. We all work 2nd shift, so that would be the earliest we can hope to be there. I`ll look for you.

Hey Richard, sleep's a good thing -- If we miss you at the start, we'll look forward to catching you on one of the backswings!

Alex

Alex

I'm pretty sure I've never felt misery anywhere when hiking in the Bonds.

On the other hand, being at work when I could be hiking the Lincoln Woods Trail or the rocky stretches around guyot...

:)

I'm pretty sure I've never felt misery anywhere when hiking in the Bonds.

On the other hand, being at work when I could be hiking the Lincoln Woods Trail or the rocky stretches around guyot...

:)

Hmmm, good point. Perhaps we can consider this a Capital-M vs. little-m dilemma...

Alex