06/27/2015 - Jumping Brook to Mt. Guyot

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 2nd edition of Gove's book on Henry's logging RR in Pemi has map of Parker Young RR and camps. It shows Camp 23A on north branch of Jumping Brook. Guyot camp must be on the south branch. The ravines must have many skidder trails must be easier to travel than jumbled boulder trains of jumping brook. Perhaps that's why it's called jumping brook.

Last edited:
I agree, Jazzbo. I remember at a very specific point that it became too dangerous to continue along the brook. The skidder trail was very welcome and saved us potential injury. I certainly did a lot of jumping on that brook, and for a while I felt safe and had fun doing it :)

I agree, Jazzbo. I remember at a very specific point that it became too dangerous to continue along the brook. The skidder trail was very welcome and saved us potential injury. I certainly did a lot of jumping on that brook, and for a while I felt safe and had fun doing it :)

Take a look sometime at Brad Washburn aerial photo collection on Mount Washington Observatory website. There are two photos of North Hancock spur ridges and crystal ravine taken in the 1940's. It is mind-boggling how they are so heavily carpeted with skidder trails. I wish I could afford to buy a framed copy. It's for a good cause but a bit pricey for our family's budget. I've often wondered if there are other outtake photos in that collection. I bet there are. It would be pretty interesting to see similar photos of other locations such as Bonds Carrigain etc.

Last edited:
Excellent report! Very cool finding the shovel!!!! Looks very interesting! I am guessing you didn't come across the logging camp(s) high up along the brook?

Jazzbo - I've seen that photo! It's baffling how destroyed it was. I've been on that ridge a few times and boy has the forest returned with vengeance!

Last edited:
Hi Becca! Nope - we didn't see the camp, but we kept to the brook for the most part. I saw a plastic shopping bag about 3 miles up the brook as well! It looked new-ish. I wonder if it was washed down from Guyot Campsite.

Dennis, what a great adventure, excellent! Thanks for posting the link here, I don't have Instagram anymore so it's nice to still follow your hikes on your website. Have a great summer exploring the lesser known areas of the Whites!

-Chris

Another burly trip. That's a tough but interesting area. I was one of the 10 years ago people. Three times but all from the ridge down. Once at night though. Keep the coming AlpineBee!