Gorham NH fourth of July - expect heavy traffic from noon on

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Gorham has always had traffic issues related to the extended 4th of July activities, but this year things are lining up to be even busier. Traffic will effectively stop for periods of time along RT2 RT16 through town from about noon until 11 PM. For those going east or west on RT2 there is no way around the traffic issues that are centered on the town common other than heading south of Mt Washington. Those on RT 16 North who ultimately want to get to RT 2 west, can bypass town by taking the Dolley Copp/Pinkham B road or closer to town Promenade street bypasses the town commons. Those trying to head east from Rt 16 onto RT2 will see some delays but nowhere near those heading west.

Issues contributing to this years potential increase in traffic

Two media firms have listed the Gorham NH fourth of July activities as near the top picks for small town 4th of July celebrations in the Northeast (I am just reporting this)

Hillary Clinton will be participating in the parade in the afternoon, this effectively shuts/slows down traffic on RT 2 for about an hour.

The Ride the Wilds ATV initiative is extremely popular, ATVs are allowed on RT2 on Main Street and many side roads. It slows down traffic as ATVs and cars don't mix well. Gorham is the most popular base for motels and restaurants for Ride the Wilds even though its on the far southern reaches of the trail network.

The nice thing about the Gorham 4th activities are that they are small scale. Folks can park a few blocks away from the common and walk down the sidewalk and get their fill of the carnival, bands and fireworks and then they can walk back to their car and head home. Its all small scale and logistically far easier than much large celebrations. I expect finding a campground with open slots is going to be tough in the region.

The long and short of it is...traversing Gorham NH on Rt 2 will be a headache on Saturday, whether W to E or E to W, basically anytime from 10 AM on throughout the day and evening. Darn few ways to bypass it, so just cross it off the list.

I've worked at M Washington on 4th of July 12 years. My AM commute is never impacted @ 7 AM, but the return trip home @ 4 just sets me up to expect a huge back-up at the intersection of 16 and 2. Coos Cty Sheriffs and Gorham PD do their best to mitigate the hold times, but I've seen it backed up to Libby Pool and beyond. Don't be taking that corner at any speed !

Hillary will be in Gorham on the 4th as well, which will add to the expected heavy traffic.