Garmin Repair / Customer Service

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
I'm having an issue with my GPSMap62S and Garmin has asked me to send in for repairs. What I do not like is they charge up front a flat $110 repair fee. Anybody here ever send their unit in to Garmin for service? I know awhile back when I researched buying a lot of people were less than thrilled with Garmin support. My GPS is 100% fine except it will not sync with a PC and BaseCamp. Tried different cables on different PC's. Wondering if I should bother sending in to repair or just by a new unit. Mine is only 2 years or so old. Not sure if there have been any significant technology advances to make consideration of a new unit worth it.

Any experiences with Garmin you could share would be appreciated. Thanks.

I'm having an issue with my GPSMap62S and Garmin has asked me to send in for repairs. What I do not like is they charge up front a flat $110 repair fee. Anybody here ever send their unit in to Garmin for service? I know awhile back when I researched buying a lot of people were less than thrilled with Garmin support. My GPS is 100% fine except it will not sync with a PC and BaseCamp. Tried different cables on different PC's. Wondering if I should bother sending in to repair or just by a new unit. Mine is only 2 years or so old. Not sure if there have been any significant technology advances to make consideration of a new unit worth it.

Where is you purchase it?

ha, yeah this is garmin's flat fee service charge, which it seems they still do. I had an old b&w etrex many years ago which broke the clickstick and garmin wanted $125 or something like that to "repair". I simply took a pin and a glue gun and drive the pin into the nub so I could still use the clickstick when it fell off. Garmin refused to budge on the issue and was not flexible nor understanding. I think I even asked if I could simply buy the part.

Jay

This is strange to hear. I accidently deleted the crappy base map in my old eTrex a few years ago. When I called Garmin, they said send it in and never asked for a fee. They replaced the map and sent it back with a note saying they also replaced the worn out rubber cover over the click stick at no charge.

I had my Colorado repaired for the flat fee...it actually failed on the trail when magnets fell out of the rotary dial. I received a refurbished unit, and the back sliding case fits terribly. It is still working well, but the poor fit of the back case diminishes the water proof integrity.

I actually got lucky. I was skeptical about returning the unit because I didn't think the GPS was the issue. I did a local hike SAT an just for the hell of it I plugged in to try and it worked flawlessly. A week prior I had done a major Windows upgrade. It appears it was a Windows/driver issue. Hopefully the Windows 10 upgrade I did last night doesn't spoil my luck!

REI changed their return policy a couple years ago. It's now no questions asked, one year from date of purchase.

If it has a defect they will take it back with out time limit. I just swapped out my kids bike helmet because the liner was loose in the shell. Worth a try.

REI policy from their webpage

We stand behind everything we sell. If you are not satisfied with your REI purchase, you can return it for a replacement or refund within one year of purchase.
REI’s guarantee doesn’t cover ordinary wear and tear or damage caused by improper use or accidents.

If your item has a manufacturing defect in its materials or workmanship, you can return it at any time. See our limited warranty.

If it has a defect they will take it back with out time limit. I just swapped out my kids bike helmet because the liner was loose in the shell. Worth a try.

REI policy from their webpage

We stand behind everything we sell. If you are not satisfied with your REI purchase, you can return it for a replacement or refund within one year of purchase.
REI’s guarantee doesn’t cover ordinary wear and tear or damage caused by improper use or accidents.

If your item has a manufacturing defect in its materials or workmanship, you can return it at any time. See our limited warranty.

I'm over 2 years with my GPS. If the issue hadn't resolved itself I probably would have went to REI just to see what they'd have to say but I'd feel like a dink doing it being well beyond a year. Glad to see that the GPS was fine and Windows was the culprit (which I rightly suspected all along but I'm not a computer guy).