First Hike Safe Card Rescue

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Last edited:
Just an assumption, but most people buying the card are probably not the type of people to get themselves into a situation where they need rescuing in the first place.

Also worth pointing out that there's no insight regarding whether this woman would have been considered negligent. From the very scant info in the article, it seems unlikely she would have been billed, but that's largely a guess on my part. Still, an interesting publicity moment.

I agree, pretty scant info. I does remind me of the old American Express Card ads "Don't leave home without it"

I bought one and on occasion I get into places where I might need rescues and could be deemed negligent due to the high bar set by F&G. I occasionally solo bushwhack which has been deemed by F&G as potentially negligent. They have never defined what an adequate quantity of food a hiker needs to carry so I expect I probably could be held negligent. I don't carry a tent or sleeping bag when winter dayhiking etc. Until such point where there is some case law on what does and doesn't define negligent hiking, the process is somewhat arbitrary. I bought mine in lieu of a post hike meal and believe in contributing to F&G although I don't agree with the administration.

I am somewhat surprised the F&G hasn't been a bit more aggressive in pointing out rescues of folks who didn't buy the card as a means of promoting the card

I guess the guy who slipped descending the Falling Waters Trail a few months ago didn't have a card. Anyone hear if he got charged?