New Hampshire Events that you may want to plan around 7/18 &19th

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
In addition to the normal summer traffic to plan for, the big event is the Race Weekend in the Lakes region this weekend. The biggest impact seems to be the traffic leaving the area on Sunday.

A somewhat more obscure event is the New England Forest Rally http://newenglandforestrally.com/. It takes over the logging roads between RT 16 and Rt 26 and there may be road closures, probably not a great time to plan a hike off Success Pond Road (but then again the routes can vary).

Race Weekend in the Lakes region this weekend.
Do you mean at Loudon? Figures the one time I'm hiking out of Lincoln, the crowds are off 93 instead of 16. I wonder if Belmont will be bad enough to be worth going through Meredith...

Yup, its in Loudon but the sphere of traffic impact is pretty far reaching. I steer clear so cant comment on any traffic strategies.

Not sure where you normally travel but the 140/106 intersection will be bad once the race lets out. Not sure, but they may not let you cross (140 to 140 at the lights)(only N out of Loudon).

Do you mean at Loudon? Figures the one time I'm hiking out of Lincoln, the crowds are off 93 instead of 16. I wonder if Belmont will be bad enough to be worth going through Meredith...

I can't comment on Belmont but Meredith is almost always a horror show in the summer unless it is really, really early or very, very late.

jniehof,
If you are heading to Lincoln from Dover I would avoid both of those areas. Take Rt 4 to 93, or 16 and across the Kanc.....IMO.

Seek-the -Peak fundraising event for MWOBS, and the Tin Mountain Mt Washington Century Bicycle Ride were also today, all competing for rooms and campsites in the North Country with the new-normal weekend crush of ATV enthusiasts.
The Practice Ride for the big MW Bicycle Hillclimb in August is tomorrow AM and the Seek-the Peak after party goes into the evening hours of tonight, so yeah, the 2 night minimum stays surely would affect availability of accommodations everywhere.

The weather of today impacted many Seek-the-peekers plans, some of them hiked yesterday, some will hike Sunday, and some truly hardy individuals DID hike today.

It's truly high season in the North Country.

140 was fine yesterday around 2pm, oddly enough 11 around Farmington was slow. Exit 23 of I-93 was backed up stopped for two miles, must have been something in Meredith.

All the way back today no problem. Owl's Head was wet :)

140 was fine yesterday around 2pm, oddly enough 11 around Farmington was slow. Exit 23 of I-93 was backed up stopped for two miles, must have been something in Meredith.

All the way back today no problem. Owl's Head was wet :)

Not sure if you mean FRI or SAT but FRI afternoon there was a serious motorcycle accident between Exit 23 and 24. Sounds like 93 was closed for awhile and they were diverting traffic off on Exit 23 to take back roads up to Exit 24.

Not sure if you mean FRI or SAT but FRI afternoon there was a serious motorcycle accident between Exit 23 and 24. Sounds like 93 was closed for awhile and they were diverting traffic off on Exit 23 to take back roads up to Exit 24.
Ah, that makes sense. This was Friday; I got on at exit 20 and thought I saw a sign "I-93 Northbound Closed, last exit 23," but when I got there half the highway was getting off and it was still open, so I kept going. I wonder if people were just still getting off because of the sign or if 132 was still recovering from the detour so people who were getting off there "on purpose" we just tangled up in the mess.

Hope folks involved are recovering.

(I was avoiding 4 to Concord because I figure that would be an even worse mess because of race weekend, and the thought of taking 16 to avoid traffic makes me shudder. And I forget that 106 is a major road...to me it's ice cream side trip.)