"Ben`s" 100% deet

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richard

Reaction score
I`ve been using "Ben`s" bug juice when I feel like I need it. It works great, but how harmful is this stuff ?:confused:

The safety of DEET has been discussed to death. I stick with what I believe is the 33% in the little orange bottle, it works and going to the 100% seems like to much to me. I would not put that mix on children it can be toxic to them, nor would I get it on my clothes. I think the 100% is overkill but that's me.

Multiple studies with no significant health effects. It is a plastics solvent and is hard on gear. Many studies have indicated that a little is as effective as a lot. Folks think they have to soak their skin, they don't. The lower concentrations (33%) work as well as the 100% with less potential for equipment damage. The military uses a 33% formulation with additives to keep it on top of the skin rather than being absorbed. It lasts far longer. The consumer version is Ultrathon.

Last edited:
I`ve been using "Ben`s" bug juice when I feel like I need it. It works great, but how harmful is this stuff ?:confused:

I picked up a small bottle of "White Mtn. Insect Repellant" to try as an alternative to the Bens stuff. I just came back from a 4 mile hike in the woods, and this works pretty well. There were lots of deer flies & mosquitos buzzing around me, but none bit me or landed on me. It says that it`s made from insect repelling plants. (no chemicals!) It`s made in Merrimack, NH.

The product's display case includes the claim "No artificial Chemicals". So it contains only "Real Chemicals"? Meh, fear-mongering.

Everything is chemicals and chemistry (hear Dr Joe explain it). The word "chemicals" has been co-opted to imply something toxic when it's actually dosage that determines toxicity (and exposure duration). For the folks who equate "chemicals" with "toxic stuff", don't look into what comprises your morning cup of coffee (hint: Chemicals! Including known carcinogens in trace quantities).

The product is made of cedar oil, mint oil, citronella oil, and corn oil. It's a bug repellent and a furniture polish!

What about lemon eucalyptus oil? The CDC lists it as an effective insect repellent. A 4 oz bottle from Repel costs $9. For the record, I use DEET products (only when the winged ones have a lock on my sanity).
http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowb...ion-against-mosquitoes-ticks-other-arthropods

Last edited:
Tendercorp (out of Littleton!) also makes Natrapel which is Deet-free and works really well for me!

I don't put more than 30% on kids. If they bug me enough, I'll use the 100 (98+%)

Question for any bald hikers, do the bugs bother you as much? How about people wearing baseball hats.

Hts are too warm for me but I seem to do pretty well wearing just a bandana. Seems they stay out of my ears that way & they have no place to hide & get a free ride. On bad days I'll spray it with 30% but I dunk it enough that it's diluted by the next hike.