Sphinx Trail question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billy

Reaction score
Question for anyone who has descended the Sphinx Trail since Hurrincane Irene:
Are there any places where it's "easy" to lose the trail? I tend to daydream when I hike and I can wander off a lightly maintained trail like a champ. Thanks.

I remember one spot where the trail & stream are one and you could possibly veer off course but otherwise it's pretty straightforward.

I did it last summer, there were small "micro" cairns in the spots where the trail crosses the many washouts.

In case you haven't hiked it, the upper Sphinx trail is a stream bed, there is no option not to hike in the stream.

Below are my last two trip reports from when I did trail work on it. I'm the 'trail adopter' for the trail, I've tried to make it as easy to follow after a few hikers over the past couple of years had not paid attention and wandered off trail on their descent at one of the higher water crossings.

As for the trail, once dropping below treeline and past the big wet rock ledge the trail travels in the brook for maybe 0.25 miles then travels along the side of it passing by some small and pretty cascades. Enjoy the trail, it's steep, rough, wild, and lightly traveled :)

Report / Pics from August 2nd, 2014

Report / Pics for July 11, 2015

-Chris

Last edited: