Zealand-East Pemi loop to Shoal Pond Trail, Stillwater Junction, Thoreau Falls Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
U

Unregistered

Did a two-day overnight in the East Pemi to check out some new-to-me regions I'd been meaning to visit now that I'm done the 4k list.

Trail in fine shape from Zealand trailhead to Thoreau Falls, and towards Ethan Pond. I observed some curious cairns / rocks piled up a couple tenths of a mile north of the Zeacliff Trail junction, looking down towards Whitewall Brook, along Whitewall Mountain. Not sure if this leads to something notable or if someone just got bored?

Shoal Pond trail was muddy, as expected, but no significant blowdowns (nothing with branches). Well-trimmed and easy to follow in all sections. Don't know what could be done about the muddiness except more, higher bog bridges, but nice to see it's being actively maintained. There is a cairn at Stillwater Junction to help hikers find the way north of the crossing.

The stone abutment I have seen pictures of at Stillwater Junction has fallen over; not sure if this has been mentioned already.

Wilderness trail in decent shape up to Thoreau Falls Trail junction when I left it, with the exception of some thorny brambles creeping up near the old logging camp (Camp 18? The one with the stove by the trail).
Have now seen a significant portion of the Carrigain Branch post-Irene and can't believe just how blown-out it is in particular from that one storm.

On to TFT -- one wash-out abouthalf-way up the trail. Not sure how new it is, but it does impede the current footbed. Encountered one hiker who had just visited the plane crash memorial. I had evening plans and found a side tributary where the old trail/logging RR had been blocked by beaver pond, so couldn't make the detour from where I was, but will try and approach from the south next time I'm on the trail.

Some muddy areas of footbed that are growing on the northern portion of TFT.

Headed back to Zealand after another stop at scenic Thoreau falls, then got caught, after a dry trip, in 20 minutes of downpour a mile from my car. Figures. Until next time.
Limmer boots sure don't break in easy, as they say. On week 3 and this flat-land loop was still brutal on my feet. Mostly the front of the boot remaining stiffer than the back section, but it's coming along.

How does one join this forum exactly? I never seem to have luck running into members on the trail.

Regards,
JB

[email protected]