Terrace Mt.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BISCUT

Reaction score
Wednesday I went to do the 11+ mile Cabot loop to hit Cabot, Horn, & Bulge. I was a little late arriving and knew I wouldn't arrive back to my car by 4pm (I was parked in the hatchery of York Pond Rd). I hiked up to the summit of Terrace Mt. instead. I'm glad I did it. It was a good time. I took Bunnel to Kilkenny. Lower portion of Bunnel had berries that were recently scavenged and plenty of bear scat to show what was eating them! About a half mile from the summit the trail was loaded with what looked like moose poops...LOTS of it! I assumed a spot where they bed down. Kilkenny is in need of some trail maintenance in that section. I saw plenty of blue blazes from the trail maintenance scouting team on Bunnell Notch but none on Kilkenny. Overall a damn good day. Weather was perfect! The humidity from the previous days was gone and the temps were upper 60"s low 70's. Too bad for me it's not on the NE 100 list!

FYI - I've never heard of anyone getting locked IN the hatchery. I've found the gate locked prior to 8am on one occasion, but I've driven out of there well after 5PM more than once. Did you make it all the way to East Terrace? That one is on the NHHH. The North Terrace bump is not on any list I know of.

11049518_959724320717484_6680710233073632282_n.jpg

East Terrace doesn't have a sign, but was cleared some time ago for a helicopter landing site.

Tim

When we originally blazed the KRT North Terrace had the most recent helipad and great views. It sure has regenerated since then. I guess I will have Dejvu when the FS cuts the pad on Mt Cabot.

I called the Berlin Fish Hatchery (603) 449-3412) before we did the Weeks a few weeks ago. IIRC they said the gate was open from 8am-10pm

The North Terrace bump is not on any list I know of.

It doesn't have much profile, but North Terrace is on the NH T3000 list (trailed 3ks with a 100ft col or a 40ft col and a generally accepted name).

Last edited:
Tim,

North Terrace was it for me. Good to know about the gate. I'll be trying to get there a little earlier next time. For what it's worth, IIRC the posted sign says 7am to 4pm.

East and North respectively from left to right.
P3300150.JPG

The views are pretty decent in winter.
P3300056.JPG

P3300059.JPG

For what it's worth, IIRC the posted sign says 7am to 4pm.

Pretty sure it's 8-4. I rechecked a TR from the Weekses and it says I got there at 7:20 (early as I had woken up prior to the alarm) and found the gate locked... but this was in November which is admittedly shoulder season.

Tim

Last edited:
Is East Terrace aka simply Terrace Mt, 3655' ?
Is it the one closest to Willard Notch and York Pond/Kilkenny Ridge Trail junction?
Joe that's a real pretty picture of the peaks. Is that York Pond in the foreground?

Thanks for clarifying that Tim. I just never heard it called East Terrace before. I will have to put the Terrace loop on my to do list. I enjoyed doing the classic Cabot loop a few years ago and would like to get back up there eventually. Like evilhanz I have discovered the T3000 list which goes beyond the 4Ks but leaves out bushwhacking. Lots of good 3Ks on there like the Baldfaces, Chocorua, Martha, Kearsarge North, etc, but some of the peaks included are a bit tenuous like North Jackson for instance. While North Terrace looks like a legitimate high point, judging by Joe's photo of the ridge, it would take some imagination to regard Middle Terrace (also on the T3000) as a peak at all.

Some call it South Terrace. The list I have says "Terrace, East - 3655". Kind of like Gale River Road has an East/West end on a road that runs "North/South" (3N / 3S).

Tim

We did Cabot (not the loop) last Friday (7/24) and after getting back to the York Pond trailhead parking spoke with one of the F&G employees who was feeding the fish. He told us that the hatchery gates were open until 10PM that week because there was a summer camp operating in the area at "this time of year". I asked him about during August and he said probably not.

Last August I did the Cabot-Bulge-Horn loop and finished around 4:30PM and discovered that we had indeed been locked in, although fortunately someone did come along very quickly to unlock the gate to let us out.

I think the moral of the story is to call ahead and ask what time the gate will be locked on the day that you are hiking or park outside the gates (which adds about 4 miles of road walking).