Presidential Traverse

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SABERG

Reaction score
A plan has been hatched for a Presidential Traverse next weekend 3/19-3/21
Clearly this is weather dependant and stupid tricks are not one of my strengths.
Has anyone tried from Rt-2 over Madison to Crag camp, alpine start and out to Crawford in the winter?
Tips and experiences are always appreciated.

Thanks

Scott

I'm very interested to do a presi traverse before the end of winter.

Any formal plan???? thanks!!!!

I'll hopefully be above or near treeline on Thurs and Friday night. Probably on the Northern side Thurs and Southern side on Friday. Weather report puts the highs in the low 30's but you never know.

Does anyone have plan to go yet? it is nice to have two cars.
:D :D :D

If no, I may join Carter Dome group.

Last edited:
Pres traverse

I have heard and read that starting from the north is the standard way to go as the wind is more likely to be blowing against your back. But watch out for the wind direction before you start. The best source of information is the Mount Washington Observatory. Lots of info to be gleamed there- also great photos from crew.

I have wanted to do this for a while now- never found the time when the weather didn't positively blow. Good luck to you all.

Thanks for the feedback. plan is Saturday early to start from Appalachia lot and go over Madison and Adams. Spend evening at Crag. Depart alpine start from Crag and weather permitting had south to Crawford.
I saw the snow comment on another thread and was happy to get some current trail info.

Sounds like a busy weekend up in them thare hills.
Scott