Trail Magic at Riga Junction

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This might be the shortest hike I've ever written a trip report for, only 3.8 miles total.

Every year for five years now Connecticut Valley Atheists has been providing trail magic on a July Sunday on the Appalachian Trail in Salisbury, Conn. Usually we do it on the summit of Bear Mountain, but this year there were thunderstorms forecast, and I didn't want to be hanging around an exposed area if that happened.

I arrived at Undermountain Trailhead in the morning and waited around a half an hour for the person who'd signed up but didn't show. Then I hiked up, carrying a cooler full of fruit, almost all with my right arm, since my left was still hurting from my fall on Adams.

It had rained on the drive up, but not on the hike up. Once I got to Riga Junction I set up shop, and spent the next five hours giving out fruit and lemonade. There were fewer day hikers than usual, probably because of the weather, but I met five through hikers, two sobo (Grace and Funemployed) and three nobo (Mantis, Wheaties, and OSHA). They all appreciated the magic and all stayed around a bit and chatted. Funemployed and Mantis were there at the same time, so they exchanged beta about the trail behind them.

With all of the lemonade and most of the fruit gone I hiked back out. There was a little rain then, but not enough to put on the rain gear.

Here are the pictures.

--

Cumulus

NE111 in my 50s: 115/115 (67/67, 46/46, 2/2)
NE111 in my 60s: 20/115 (15/67, 5/46, 0/2)
NEFF: 46/50; Cat35: 36/39; WNH4K: 36/48; NEHH 81/100
LT NB 2009

"I don't much care where [I get to] --" said Alice, "-- so long as I get somewhere," ...
"Oh, you're sure to do that," said the Cat, "if you only walk long enough."
- Lewis Carroll

Hear any reports on blueberries in those hills? Is it good year?

Since I stopped at Riga Junction I didn't go past the blueberry patches. Yesterday, though, I hiked in Glastonbury and ate some. They're just started to get ripe. It doesn't seem to be a particularly good year, though.

--

Cumulus

NE111 in my 50s: 115/115 (67/67, 46/46, 2/2)
NE111 in my 60s: 20/115 (15/67, 5/46, 0/2)
NEFF: 46/50; Cat35: 36/39; WNH4K: 36/48; NEHH 81/100
LT NB 2009

"I don't much care where [I get to] --" said Alice, "-- so long as I get somewhere," ...
"Oh, you're sure to do that," said the Cat, "if you only walk long enough."
- Lewis Carroll